Butter Cookies Recipe
This is the BEST butter cookies recipe you’ll find online! They are extremely buttery, crumbly and practically melt in the mouth.
They are similar to Danish butter cookies and perfect for any holidays: Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year, Valentine’s Day, or any day of the year!
Other christmas Cookies You Might Like
Ingredients for Butter Cookies
This is an easy recipe that calls for simple ingredients:
- Unsalted butter.
- Powdered sugar.
- Egg yolk.
- All-purpose flour.
- Vanilla essence.
How Can I Make My Cookies Better?
How to make butter cookies? Here are my baking tips, tricks and secret techniques for the best cookies every time:
- Use a good quality butter. I use Challenge brand butter for all my baking recipes. It’s the BEST butter to use for baking cookies.
- Do not use granulated sugar as they don’t melt in the dough and result in a grainy texture.
- To make the cookies better and more crumbly, add some Pam cooking spray to the dough. The cooking spray makes the cookies even better with melt-in-the-mouth texture. Trust me on this!
- Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes. This will ensure that it’s easier to roll out and cut into shapes.
- Use cookie cutters instead of cookie press for the best results. I find cookie press a hit-or-miss, it all depends on the cookie press you use. Sometimes the dough is stuck on the cookie press and it’s very hard to form the beautiful shapes. With cookie cutters, you can control how the cookies look by cutting out the shape you desire.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Butter Cookies Last??
This recipe yields about 100 cookies. They last for two (2) weeks or longer if the cookies are stored in an air-tight container.
Can I Freeze or Refrigerate Cookies?
I don’t advice freezing or keeping the cookies in the refrigerator. It won’t help with the freshness or shelf life of these soft cookies.
Plus, they won’t taste good after freezing. You might have to heat them up in a toaster oven before eating.
The best way to store cookies is to leave them in an air-tight container at room temperature, in the pantry or inside your kitchen cabinet.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 41 calories per cookie.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 oz. (2 1/2 sticks or 300 g) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Pam cooking spray, optional
- 3 oz. (100 g or 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (full cream milk)
- 11 oz. (310 g or 2 cups + 3 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 4 oz. (110 g or 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup) cornstarch
- Cream butter with Pam cooking spray (if using), sugar, egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract until fluffy. Add in the milk and mix well.
- Fold in the all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Using a spatula and your hands to mix the dough. At first, the dough would look crumbly as the picture below.
- Continue to mix the dough until it becomes soft and not stick on hands, about 10 minutes. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds or whatever shapes you wish using cookie cutters. Assemble the scrap and roll in with the remaining dough.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until cookies are turn very light brown in color and the inside is cooked through. Cool the cookies before eating. You may keep the cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
For the best results, please use the metric measurement.
I have converted the recipe to US measuring cups. 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup cornstarch.
Use cookie cutters for the best results. DO NOT use cookie press.
Serving Size100 cookies
Amount Per Serving Calories 40Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 7mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 1g