Chinese Egg Drop Soup
I am sure everyone has tried Chinese egg drop soup, either at Chinese restaurants, buffet, or takeout.
This soup is always warm and comforting, with silky threads of eggs in every spoon.
This recipe is from my best-selling Chinese cookbook “Easy Chinese Recipes.” I added fresh tomatoes for a sweet tang.
My recipe closely replicates the version I had in Shanghai, but slightly thickened with corn starch. It’s eggy, soothing, and utterly comforting, especially on a cold day.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Is Egg Drop Soup Bad for You?
This soup recipe contains only 72 calories per serving. The soup also provides a great amount of your daily needed Vitamin C.
Can Egg Drop Soup Be Frozen?
Eggs will become rubbery when frozen. Therefore, freeze the broth and add the eggs when necessary before serving. This will make for the best reheated soup!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 52 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 can (14 oz. / 400 g) store-bought chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, mix the corn starch with the water. Stir to blend well. Set aside.
- Bring to boil the chicken broth and water in a pot. Add the tomato, white pepper, salt, and thicken the soup with the corn starch mixture. Stir the soup with a ladle and turn off the heat. Swirl the beaten eggs into the soup and immediately stir around for three times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the pot with its lid for 2 minutes. The eggs should be cooked and form into silken threads. Dish out into individual serving bowls and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 52Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 81mgSodium 600mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 3g