Contributor: Baked by Joanna
I am always a fan of quick breads, namely those that feature walnuts, one of my favorite nuts.
So my rendition of Zucchini Bread was simply all I needed to feed my craving for something sweet that takes no time to rise.
Filled with warm spices, this bread incorporates finely grated shreds of zucchini.
I prefer a finer grate because when mixing, there’s more to go around.
Additionally, it extracts more juices, which I also add to the batter.
This keeps the bread from drying out while baking.
And if it wasn’t enough, I had to add a crumb topping.
It’s like sprinkles on a cupcake, possibly not neccessary, but it makes the dish taste a million times better.
My crumb topping is a simple mix of brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.
I also incorporate oats for more crunch and heartiness.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 377 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil, (300 mL)
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar, (250 g)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt, (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, (5 mL)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, (5 mL)
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, (15 mL)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, (1.75 mL)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, (360 g)
- 2 zucchinis, finely grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped, (150 g)
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, (45 g)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed, (90 g)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, (30 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, (1.75 mL)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, diced small and chilled, (60 g)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, and coat two 8 x 4-inch pans with nonstick spray.
- In a stand mixer, beat the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed with the paddle attachment.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Then mix in the flour in thirds. Scrape down the bowl, as needed, to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans, and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After placing the bread in the oven, make the crumb topping by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and mixing with hands, until large crumbles form. Once the bread has baked for 15 minutes, divide the crumbs evenly and scatter them over the top of each pan of bread. Continue baking.
- Allow the bread to rest on the counter for 20 minutes, before removing it from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
For more green coloring in the bread, grate the zucchini on a larger-sized setting.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 377Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 16gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 153mgSodium 924mgCarbohydrates 233gFiber 7gSugar 143gProtein 21g