Cassava Cake with Shredded Coconut http://rasamalaysia.com/cassava-cake-with-shredded-coconut/
September 15th, 2012 21 Comments

Cassava Cake with Shredded Coconut

Steamed Cassava with Shredded Coconut
Steamed Cassava with Shredded Coconut pictures (2 of 3)

Once in a while, I have sudden cravings for kuih, or Malaysian sweet cake, which is a delicacy found in Malaysia. I usually crave for onde-onde and kuih bingka ubi (cassava cake). However, making kuih is laborious and takes a long time, and I have no patience to make these two cakes to fix my cravings, so I usually combine two recipes into one and make cassava cake with shredded coconut. The cassava cake looks just like kuih sago, but it’s made with cassava instead of sago pearls or tapioca pearls.

Back home in Malaysia, whenever there is festive season, for example: Hari Raya (Aidilfitri), Malay or Peranakan weddings, various kinds of kuih are served to the guests. I grew up with my late grandmother who was a legendary kuih maker. Every wedding or festive celebration in my family was graced with endless array of colorful kuih, all cut into nice little bite-shaped shapes waiting to be devoured.

Cassava Cake with Shredded Coconut

Ironically, I didn’t appreciate kuih when I was back home in Malaysia. I was into western-style baking: cakes, cookies, buns and donuts. I thought kuih was unfashionable; little did I know that kuih were such an art form and unique creations of my culture.

Anyway, now that I realized how delectable and dainty these kuih are, I enjoy eating them whenever I have a chance. These cassava cake with shredded coconut is absolutely delightful and lovely, both to the eyes and the taste buds.

Click Page 2 for the Cassava Cake with Shredded Coconut Recipe

1. Tia Soth via Facebook says:

Yummys..I will make this for my mom :)

2. I have made the Philippine Cassava Cake & love it; must try this, then!

3. Rox Cezar via Facebook says:

yummy snack…

4. Amanda Tomanek via Facebook says:

That looks amazing! I love kuih!

5. I love kuih and miss eating them alot… I will try making this. Thanks :)

6. Pat says:

I love cassava cake, usually make mine with everything mixed together and baked in oven. Yummy!

7. Ivy Wong via Facebook says:

I love making Malaysian kuih because I can’t buy them here…

8. Bee Ho says:

I have been looking for this recipe for a while now. Thanks Bee!!

9. Evelyn Lew via Facebook says:

Thank you…thinking what dessert to serve at my daughter’s school Culture Fair … good idea. Much easier than baking cassava..

10. I seldom ate this back in Malaysia, but seeing your post, I am craving for some now :-)

11. Eve says:

At my baby shower, my Filipino father in law made steamed cassava cakes with shredded coconut and baked cassava cake. My Chinese mom made something similar too, so I guess it’s popular in Southeastern countries.

12. Congrats Bee ! I saw that this recipe made it to foodgawker. Keep up the good work…. : )

13. Senekalata Rajoo via Facebook says:

I do crave for kuih esp bingka ubi..in Suriname they have similar version called ‘Bojo’ (bo-yo)…still nothing beats our Msian : )

14. Kathy says:

Wow, its so nice to know that the Malaysia and Philippines has this almost the same delicacy, in the Philippines we call this Pichi-Pichi (usually in bite size form) which can be coated with shredded coconut or topped with grated cheese and also the Cassava Cake (which is more rich in taste than the later) with a sweet bechamel-like sauce on top :)

15. Now you are making me crave for kuih!! I want :)

16. Lolynn says:

I was given an assignment to make a special dish from my culture, I did a little research and found this dish intresting. I can’t wait to make them and share them with my classmates, not only that I can’t wait to try them also!

17. lena lee says:

I definitely want to try this. It looks so delicious.

18. IVAN SRIGBOH says:

I would like to know what preservative I can use to keep soy milk for at least six months

19. ShirleyBerry says:

Would like to try this out. Can I substitute potato starch with corn flour ?

20. Bobbi Chantile says:

i tired this Singapore and i love it. i have never seen cassava before, how do they look like, can i buy them in Canada. can i substitute with cassava flour. i found this at the grocery in an Asian store