Flank Steak with Ponzu and Miso Butter
Flank Steak with Miso Butter – the most tender, juiciest, and delicious flank steak ever. Make it at home with this easy recipe
2 lbs flank steak, cut into four 8-oz piece
Ponzu and Miso Butter Glaze
Yields 3/4 cup
1 tablespoon Mizkan AJIPON® Ponzu
2 tablespoons MIZKAN HONTERI® Mirin Seasoning
3 tablespoons Shiro miso (white miso)
4 tablespoons or 1/2 stick butter, melted
2 tablespoons Japanese cooking sake
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 dashes black pepper
Fresh herb salad
3 tablespoons Mizkan AJIPON® Ponzu
- Mix all the ingredients for the Ponzu and Miso Butter Glaze in a sauce pan. Bring it to boil and remove from the heat immediately. Let cool.
- In a plastic bag, marinate the steak for 1 hour with half of the glaze. Fire up the grill, scrape off the excess glaze and then grill. If the grill flares up, move the steak to the cooler spot to prevent burning. Return the steak to the heat when the flame dies down.
- Grill each side for about 3-4 minutes, then gently pick it up with a pair of tongs and grill the other side for another 3-4 minutes, or until the surface becomes nicely charred or to your desired doneness. Brush some glaze on the surface of the meat and let set on the grill for another 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. This will allow the juice inside the steak to redistribute so it will not leak out when you slice it. (A tip from Harry Soo, BBQ expert)
- While the steak is resting, toss the fresh herb salad with Mizkan AJIPON® Ponzu.
- On a serving plate, place about 1 tablespoon of the Ponzu and Miso Butter glaze on the plate. Place the steak on top of the glaze. Drizzle a little more glaze on top, and serve with some fresh herb salad.
It’s amazing how time flies, it’s almost August. I hope everyone is enjoying summer and busy firing up your grill for BBQ parties. Every summer, I host a small BBQ party where I invite only a few close friends—every year there is a theme, we dress up, eat really good food, and just enjoy the warm summer days. This year is no exception…
The theme of this year’s party was Wagyu beef and Japanese. If you love beef, I am sure you know that Wagyu beef is prized for its supreme tenderness, sublime flavor, and marbled texture. I got my Wagyu beef from Ohio Wagyu, they were flown in to me overnight. With the superior meat in my hand, I knew that I had to create a killer steak recipe to impress my guests. I turned to my friend Harry Soo, a top BBQ Pitmaster in the US whose team Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ was featured on TLC Channel’s BBQ Pitmasters. Together, we developed this amazingly delicious and irresistible steak recipe with a ponzu and miso butter glaze, using none other than the Mizkan AJIPON® Ponzu, MIZKAN HONTERI® Mirin Seasoning, miso, sake, and butter. The steak was a HUGE hit at the party…they were gone as soon as they were off the grill!
Now, you don’t need summer or an outdoor grill to have a great piece of steak. You can use an indoor grill or even pan-fry the steak. The ponzu miso butter glaze recipe is very easy, and it’s also great for fish, shellfish, and other meat of your choice (though I will say that it pairs perfectly with steak). I especially love the ponzu and miso butter glaze with the tender flank steak, which you can easily pan-fry in a pan.
If you love steak, you must give this flank steak recipe a try. The Mizkan ponzu and miso butter glaze is what makes the steak so mouthwatering and scrumptious, I am almost certain that you will love it.