Ice Kacang (ABC) / Malaysian Shaved Ice Recipe
2 cups ice cubes or crushed ice
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup water
3 drops red coloring, optional
2 tablespoons condensed milk or evaporated milk
2 tablespoons canned red beans, in kernels
2 tablespoons canned sweet corn, cream-style
2 tablespoons grass jelly pieces
Attap chee (palm nuts), optional
- Add all the ingredients in the Syrup in a small sauce pan. Heat it up over medium heat. As soon as the sugar melts and the syrup starts to bubble, turn off the heat. Set aside and let cool.
- Prepare the shaved ice by using a blender. Make sure the ice is completely shaved.
- Transfer the shaved ice to a bowl and add 2 tablespoons syrup, follow by all the ingredients in the toppings. Serve immediately.
- The syrup is enough for two servings of ice kacang.
- Every country in Asia seems to have their own version of shaved ice. This is the version I grew up eating in Penang, Malaysia.