3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pack (120g) Malaysian instant curry paste (you can get it at AsianSupermarket365.com)
2 cups chicken stock (1 can)
2 cups water
2 stalks lemongrass (white part only, pounded)
5 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
10 tofu puffs, cut into pieces
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
10 shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cooked
3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
Fish cakes, cut into pieces
- In a stockpot, add the oil and sauté the instant curry paste until aromatic.
- Add the chicken broth, water, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, tofu puffs and bring the stock to boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer. Add the coconut milk and evaporated milk. Add salt to taste. Keep the stock on simmer.
- Rinse the yellow noodles, drained and set aside. Soak the dry vermicelli with some warm water until soft, drained and set aside.
- To assemble a bowl of laksa for serving, bring to boil some yellow noodles, vermicelli, and a handful of bean sprouts. Drain the noodles and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top the noodles with 2-3 shrimp, a few pieces of fish cake, and 1-2 egg quarters.
- Using a ladle, pour the laksa broth and a few pieces of tofu puffs on top of the noodles.
- Serve immediately.