FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR EASY DELICIOUS RECIPES EVERY DAY!
Lamb Rendang Recipe (Spicy Lamb Curry)
1 1/2 lbs boneless leg of lamb (or beef or chicken), cut into cubes
7 tablespoons oil
1/4 piece turmeric leaf (optional), thinly shredded
10 kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2-inch length
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
Salt and sugar to taste
3 tablespoons oil
10 dried red chilis, soaked in warm water and seeds removed
5 fresh red chilis, seeds removed
2 stalks lemongrass (white part only), lightly smashed
7 shallots, or 1 small red onion
1 clove garlic
1/2-inch ginger, peeled
1/2-inch galangal (lengkuas), peeled
1 teaspoon corriander seeds
1 candlenut, lightly smashed
1 teaspoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Plug in the crock pot/slow cooker and turn setting to High. Blend all Spice Paste ingredients in a food processor until fine. Scoop out, and set aside. Season lamb cubes with a little salt and put aside.
2. In a wok, heat up oil, stir-fry turmeric leaf and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant.
3. Turn heat to slightly medium-high, add blended Spice Paste, stir-fry until fragrant, or until color changes for 5 minutes.
4. Put in lamb cubes, stir well and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
5. Pour in coconut milk and toasted coconut and bring to a quick boil. Turn off heat and move all pre-cooked contents from wok into crock pot and braise for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Remove pot cover, stir and check to make sure the dish is not too dry and the lamb is tender enough to your liking, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender enough. Turn off heat. Unplug crock pot and allow the dish to sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. The sauce will slowly evaporate, and may appear slightly dry and thickened. The Lamb Rendang is ready to dish out and serve with steamed white rice or coconut rice.
You may substitute coconut milk for yogurt, milk, evaporated milk or other dairy products, however it will alter the taste of an authentic Rendang.
Desiccated coconut may be replaced with a two tablespoons of coconut milk.
Rendang tastes better when served the next day. If possible, store some overnight in refrigerator.