Malaysian Bak Kut Teh http://rasamalaysia.com/malaysian-bak-kut-teh/
February 13th, 2011 20 Comments

Malaysian Bak Kut Teh

Clay Pot Bak Kut Teh
Clay Pot Bak Kut Teh pictures (2 of 6)

It’s been almost two weeks since we arrived in Malaysia. Needless to say, I have been stuffing myself silly with lots of great food daily. I apologize for the lack of posting but there are just too much fun being home, especially during the festive Chinese New Year celebration. There are always friends and family to visit, places to go, foods to eat, etc. Anyway, the good news is that I am currently working with my designer on a brand new Rasa Malaysia Photoblog, a new sub-domain which is pretty much about my life in photographs. The Photoblog will be a great tool for me to share many things with you, without writing a lengthy post. I am just very excited. Please stay tuned for the launch…

Anyway, when I was in Kluang during the first few days of Chinese New Year, I tried out some of the best Bak Kut Teh in town. Bak Kut Teh originated from Klang, Malaysia. It’s a hearty soup made of pork ribs, Chinese herbs, mushrooms/wood ear, fresh lettuce, etc., and eaten with side dishes such as yam rice and fried youtiao. Bak Kut Teh is available throughout the day but I love it as my breakfast. Nothing comforts the empty stomach more than fall-off-the-bones pork ribs, fluffy yam rice, crispy fried youtiao, and the aromatic herbal-infused broth.

Here are the  photos of the Bak Kut Teh I had. My favorite is the clay pot Bak Kut Teh at Teoh Heng.

Restoran Teoh Heng (潮兴肉骨茶)
53 Jalan Lim Swee Sim,
Kluang Baru,
86000 Kluang, Johor
Phone: +6-016-754-4932

You Might Also Like These Recipes Below:

1. Swee San says:

I can’t imagine my life without Bah Kut Teh. (Ok maybe i’d be thinner, but…) it’s a great comfort food :)

2. Kiran says:

OMG! I am super envious! Truly missing traditional foods back home, Malaysia :) Eat for me too OK? Enjoy your vacation with the family Bee!

3. Jayne says:

Bak kut teh! I’m from Klang, Selangor so that explains my excitement. haha… One of the best comfort foods there is out there. I feel like cooking up a batch for dinner tomorrow. :-)

4. Teri Y says:

Happy CNY! Now you’ve got me craving for bak kut teh. I recommend checking out Yi Xin Ge Restaurant for bak kut teh. It’s my favorite! It’s in SS4 and it’s facing the highway, across from the church. They also sell pre-packed bak kut teh spices (with real actual spices and herbs!) that I always buy to bring back with me to the States. After using their pre-packed spices, I can’t go back to using the regular store-bought bak kut teh sachets that are really just filled with powder form :)

5. you know what… mister just made some bak kut teh on sat… so yummy!

6. Jeanette Wilfer says:

Since you are in malaysia try the dry bak kut teh.

7. Happy Chinese New Year to you.

Love your blog a lot.

8. msho says:

According to history, bah kut teh came from China in the 19th century.

9. unkaleong says:

If you are still in town (PJ) I’ll take you to my favourite Bak Kut Teh stall. I swear it’s the best in the world…according to my taste buds lar ;)

10. It looks like the Vietnamese giò cháo quẩy “dã chiến”. I love them!

Bee, I hope you had a lovely Asian New Year and that baby is well. :-Þ

11. Simon says:

Wow, a photoblog. Really interesting, I really want to do something similar too, if I only had time and creative inspiration to do it. I’m considering to go to thailand for some time, to get a thai chef certificate. Taking both basic and pro classes. Hopefully I can open a domain and shoot pictures during my time in bangkok. As thailand and malaysia is as good as neighbors, there is no impossibilities when it comes to visiting malaysia.

Btw Bee, I would like to ask you something. After passing thai chef school, is there any places to learn more about malaysian/nyonya food?.

Your blog makes me hungry both literally, and hungry for more knowledge and cooking skills.

12. Joey says:

The bak kut teh shop that you mention in this post is really famous and delicious! I am from Kluang and whenever I am back to Kluang, I would love to have it as breakfast too! Especially the rice is so fragrance with cube of yam and mince meat in it..Absolutely yummy!

13. Bobby says:

i love food! and i will definitely try your recipe:) i’m surprised to see that you had filipino recipe on your blog, ad that you liked them:)

14. We were in Malaysia a few years ago and that was the time I was quite ignorant about the cuisine and didn’t explore much of the local, now I regret!

15. Evelyn Tan says:

Are you from Klg??? i am so surprised when i saw the address for the bak kut teh shop in Kluang!! It’s one of our family tradition to go to this particular bat kut teh shop if any relatives come home for visit!!

16. Edmund says:

Would love to have a Dry Bar Kut Teh recepie one day! I have tried it in Klang( Tmn. Sentosa)
    Really loved it with rice and served hot….