Nobu Black Cod with Miso Recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-black-cod-with-miso/
April 07th, 2007 125 Comments

Nobu Black Cod with Miso Recipe

Black Cod with Miso / Miso-marinated Black Cod

I love Japanese food, but not every kind of Japanese food. For most people in the United States, Japanese food means sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, and tempura. While I enjoy teriyaki and tempura quite a bit, I don’t like sushi and sashimi…

Black Cod with Miso / Miso-marinated Black Cod

I know, how can I not like sushi and sashimi? Well, for starters, I am painfully fussy, selective, and peculiar when it comes to eating. I love little edibles but I have yet to acquire the liking for sushi. And when it comes to eating raw, there are only two kinds of raw food I would eat: oysters and geoduck clams (raw fish is too mushy for my taste). Well, there you have it. I am impossible to please and am very inconsistent when it comes to food.

Black Cod with Miso / Miso-marinated Black Cod

Other than sushi and sashimi, I can pretty much acknowledge that I adore Japanese cooking–the light yet invigorating flavors and the delicate presentations. Japanese food is so refined, elegant and beautiful, just like this baked miso-marinated black cod…

Black Cod with Miso / Miso-marinated Black Cod

Made famous by Nobu Matsuhisa and one of Robert De Niro’s favorites, I fell in love with black cod with miso since the first time I had it. While this recipe is not too hard to make at home, ordering it at Japanese restaurants here in Southern California is quite expensive. So, I bought Nobu: The Cookbook and slowly but surely make all my favorite Japanese dishes (click here for my baked scallops recipe).

Click Page 2 for the Nobu Black Cod with Miso Recipe Recipe

If your sashimi is mushy, then it’s probably bad or old. Fresh sashimi doesn’t have a mushy or slimy quality. I really recommend trying more sashimi and sushi; the good stuff is incredibly delicious.

2. Wow this looks like it would just melt in your mouth. I love the char accents and delicate looking textexture. I will have to give this a try sometime. Thanks and cheers!

3. Tessa says:

Hello. I’ve eaten twice at NOBU and have had the black cod with miso. I LOVE IT. If you could let me know if there are different flavors of mirin, could you please let me know which one is used in the NOBU recipe.

Thanks.
    Tessa

4. Tessa says:

Hello again. I forgot to ask about the Sake. I know Sake has different flavors. Could you please let me know which Sake to use to make this mouth-watering black cod?

Thanks,
    Tessa

5. Mari says:

Hi!! What if I don’t have a grill?? Can I pan fry it and if so, for how long..? Thanks!

6. Elise says:

Hi Rasa, your pictures are beautiful. I was just wondering about the ratio of the miso paste vs the liquid in the marinade.. With half a cup of liquid and 4 tb of miso paste, my marinade was very liquidy. Did I do something wrong? It’s not solid enough for me to add drops when plating.

7. s says:

heyyyy just wondering when u say sake…do you mean cooking sake or normal sake?coz i tried the receipe once and it was a bit too sweet!thanks!

8. arissa says:

Hi, I am planning to try this recipe tonight. Just wondering what you would suggest serving it with. Thanks!

9. Mel says:

Currently I have red miso. Will this not work?

10. Pingback:Cook your own damn dinner « Curve Happens

11. Its really nice post….
    I was searching this kind of posting …..
    I just liked it….
    Thanks….

webroyalty

12. Pingback:tenminusone - Chasing Kirala’s Butterfish

13. Pingback:Cod with Miso — Delishhh

14. Delishhh says:

Hi, I love your blog, it has some great recipes. And i wanted to let you know that i tried this recipe and posted it on my blog today with a link to your recipe and blog. Hopefully you can stop by. Now my pictures are not as good as yours, but i am getting there. :) http://delishhh.com/?p=540

15. Cici says:

Tried and tested!! Delicious…!!!!! :)
    Thank youuu!!!!

16. I liked your blog. Your blog contains some great recipes that really i love. i am a housewife and very fond of cooking new recipes specially sweet dish.

17. Im making this tonight. It looks fantastic. Will let you know how it turns out…. Cant wait. I love this dish…

18. Ngoc says:

This was amazing! I used it as the base to recreate a favorite dish, and while it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, I’m glad to have found a new favorite. :)

19. Pingback:Miso Glazed Black Cod « the taste space – steam, bake, boil, shake!

20. sawhster says:

This was sooooooooo….. delish! Just like at my favorite local Japanese restaurant.

There is one downside however – my kitchen smelled very fishy the whole day – are there any tips on how to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is dumping the marinade in a trash bag outside immediately vs. pouring it down the kitchen drain.

Thanks!

• Hi Sawhster – I agree, fish smells after cooking and eating. There is really nothing much we can do other than opening the windows, let the air in, and yes, trashing everything ASAP. LOL.

21. Apple says:

Hi Rasa! did the Nobu cookbook have any suggestions about what to serve with this black cod? I am thinking about making it for a dinner party and was imagining maybe soba noodles in some sort of sauce, or something else interesting. What would you serve with it, for a main course?
    Thanks for the amazing posts! My mouth is watering just looking at your pictures!
    -Apple

22. alice says:

I tried this last night and also added a bit of garlic and ginger. I grilled it lightly on both sides with an outdoor bbq grill and then I broiled it onto a greased pan at 400 F degrees for almost 4-5 mins each side. The color didn’t turn out golden brown like yours and some pieces flaked off. In the end I served it with plain white rice with some of the sauce. The flavor was amazing but the fish was dried and not as buttery as Nobu’s. I was slightly disappointed.
    Was it b/c I broiled it instead of baking it? How come it tasted dry?
    Thanks! Great photos you have!

• Hi Alice, I think you overcooked the fish, that’s why it’s dry. Black cod is a very oily fish. I think you should just bake it (wrap with foil if you want it to be moist) and then broil for 1-2 minutes on both sides the most.

23. Gus says:

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the recipe. I am a huge fan of this dish and can’t wait to taste it… before I do my shopping, please advise if I should buy the Mirin 8% alch or Mirin 0.9% (cooking).
    thx thx and thx again!

24. This looks like the perfect recipe for black cod. With a fish this good, all you need is salt, pepper and 20 minutes at 400F. But this really looks special

25. evelyn says:

Hi Rasa, I love your recipes and your food photos. What camera/lens do you use? Any special light that you used. The food looks delicious!

Thanks,
    Evelyn

26. Irina says:

Thanks a lot for the recipe I have tried it and it was very nice but not so as they serve it in Nobu…and I love it how they make it in Nobu. Firstly, I could not grill it so nicely as you have done it in your pictures; somehow my grill dried the fish out and did not grill it nicely but more like burned it..(I have a built in electric grill into mu electric oven…could it be the problem?) and overall the whole fish felt very dry and not so juicy like yours; please advise if you know where I could improve.

27. Hi,

I just came across your blog today for the first time.

Great food articles and photos – I was blown away by them. I really like the attention to detail in your posts, and the wonderful colors and clarity of the photos of the dishes you write about.

I have been to Malaysia and liked the country, people and food a lot. Plan to visit again.

I’ll keep reading your blog.

Thanks,
    Vasudev Ram

• Hi Vasudev – thanks so much for your sweet note. I am glad you have found Rasa Malaysia! Have you been to Penang, Malaysia? You have to go there as Penang has very good food. It’s my hometown. :)

28. Pingback:Miso-glazed Black Cod – 14 hour marinade » digest LA

29. Pingback:Miso Crusted Cod and Steamed Edamame | good or bad, it's an adventure!

30. gabsthedino says:

Do you think that you could grill it earlier in the afternoon and then bake it just before serving???

31. Jen L says:

Hi, I tried this recipe yesterday and the cod came out incredibly salty! I tried to follow it exactly as you wrote. Instead of grill, I pan seared it and instead of marinating overnight, I marinated for only 2 hours. I’m wondering if it’s the type of miso I used? I’m not sure what white miso is. The miso I got is a light yellow. Can that be the problem?

32. lori says:

Where do you purchase Black Cod? I’m in the northern CA area and none of the grocery stores around me seem to have this fish! I was on Crystal Cruise for 1 day (long story) and I was lucky enough to eat in the Nobu restaurant on the ship and had black cod. It was so delicious. And I keep reading that black cod has more omega 3′s than even salmon and since I do not like salmon, I’m excited to add it to my diet… problem is I can’t find it! Any help would be appreciated.

33. EK says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made it for dinner tonight, but used halibut instead of cod. I only marinated it for 6 hours and served it with some carrots and snowpeas sauteed with garlic, ginger and a dash of sesame oil. It was amazing!

34. hockeyfan08 says:

I have made this a number of times with black cod or with Chilean Sea bass. It is excellent with any fish but especially with something that has some fat/oil within. Miso is very useful for a number of receipes so the fact that you usually have to buy a 1 lb container should not be a problem and it keeps for a long time as long as you wrap it up in a plastic bag. I make a fried long eggplant/green pepper with ground pork dish that uses mirin,sugar and miso as a final touch.

35. Lord Koos says:

I think this is what the Japanese call Kasasuki Black Cod. Cod is marinated in sake lees (leftovers from the Sake wine-making process), looks like your version will get close to the same flavors. They sell the real Kasusaki marinade where I live but it’s expensive.

36. WLS says:

Hi there! I have been to Nobu and I absolutely adore this dish! Thank you so much for putting it up :) By the way, I can’t seem to find fresh black cod here in Australia, is it possible to replace it with murray cod? Thank you and I love your blog and all your recipes!!

37. Darren says:

Is there any reason that this wouldn’t work with chicken breast instead of fish?

38. Pingback:Miso Marinated Sea Bass « lauriesmuffins

39. Linda says:

Hi Rasa,

Thanks for the recipe! I made it tonight, and it was AMAZING! :)

Thanks again!

L

40. Steven Ng says:

Fantastic!! I am sure this is THE BEST recipe for Cod Fish. Simply delicious and the fragrance will make your saliva dripping. I tried this recipe 3 years ago through your website and I am still doing it. All ingredients are available in any supermarket or store selling Japanese foodstuff. Thank you RasaMalaysia for this incredible recipe.

41. Paul says:

Nice photos, whats the green thing called?

42. Pingback:GINDARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Umami & Me

43. Mike D says:

Hi Rasa,

I want you to know for the past 8 years I’ve been following many sites regarding recipes. By far you have the best site I’ve ever seen, your selections surpass anything I’ve seen in all these years. I hope anyone looking for the best in fine Asian foods has your great site.

44. Anna says:

My husband and kids loved this dish! Thank you so much for sharing! They enjoyed it so much that I included it in our weekly favorites for Blood Type A’s.

45. Zahid says:

Is it possible to make this without the sake?

46. Pingback:Cod with Miso, after Nobu | Casa del Picky Eaters

47. lily says:

what’s the green thing?

48. Pingback:Nobu’s miso ‘black cod’ recipe | The Misadventures of MissC

49. Pearlyn says:

Hi there, I tried your recipe and did not broil but pan seared it before baking. However there was a sourish taste. Is it suppose to taste slightly sourish? Thank you.