What is agedashi tofu?
Age tofu is one of the most popular Japanese recipes. It’s an appetizer of deep fried tofu in a sweet and savory sauce.
The sauce is made of Japanese fish-based dashi broth. This is a must-have appetizer whenever I dine out at Japanese restaurants.
This recipe is super healthy and delicious!
Agedashi Tofu Recipe
This recipe calls for very simple ingredients and easy to make at home:
- Dashi broth
- Cooking sake
- Soy sauce
The sweet tentsuyu broth is iconic in Japanese cooking. It’s the soul of many Japanese dishes.
How to Make Agedashi Tofu?
You will need a block of tofu to make age tofu.
First, deep fry the tofu until they turn light brown or crispy.
Next, make the tentsuyu agedashi tofu sauce in a small sauce pan.
To serve, place the fried tofu in a small bowl and add the sauce. Garnish with grated daikon, chopped scallions and dried bonito flakes before serving.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 264 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with other Japanese dishes. For a healthy Japanese meal at home, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 block Tofu
- Corn starch
- Oil for deep frying
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) dashi or Japanese fish stock
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3/4 tablespoon sugar
- Peeled and grated daikon
- Peeled and grated ginger, optional
- Sliced green onions/scallions
- Dried bonito flake/katsuobushi
- Cut the tofu into small pieces. Bloat each with paper towels and coat with corn starch. Set aside.
- Bring all the ingredients of tentsuyu sauce to gentle simmer in a small sauce pan. Do not bring to a full boil.
- Heat up the oil in a wok a frying pan and deep fry to tofu until they turn light brown or crispy. Please take note that the corn starch coating will not turn to golden brown easily. Remove the deep-fried tofu and drain the excess oil on a plate lined with paper towels.
- To serve, place a few pieces of tofu in a small bowl and pour some tentsuyu sauce on the tofu. Garnish with some grated daikon, chopped scallions and dried bonito flakes. Serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 1434mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 21g