How to Make Chicken Teriyaki
In this recipe, you will learn how to make chicken teriyaki from scratch by using only four (4) ingredients. I will also teach you the easy recipe and techniques on how to make the chicken super crispy, just like the best Japanese restaurants.
I have personally tasted many amazing chicken teriyaki in the United States and in Japan. The best ones always have crackly and crispy skin. The chicken is sliced and drizzled with delicious teriyaki sauce.
My recipe is one of the easiest chicken teriyaki recipes. The end result is absolutely delicious and it takes only 20 minutes from prep to dinner table.
Tips for the Best Homemade Teriyaki Chicken
- Use chicken thighs as the meat is juicy and tender. I always use skin-on chicken thighs. Debone the chicken thighs and keep the skin. You can debone chicken thighs easily with my How to Debone Chicken Thighs video tutorial and picture guide.
- For the best results, grill your chicken with an indoor grill.
- If you don’t have an indoor grill, pan-fry the chicken until the chicken skin is crispy and golden brown.
How to Make Teriyaki Sauce?
My recipe calls for only three (3) ingredients:
- Japanese soy sauce. I like low sodium soy sauce for the sauce. It’s important you buy a good quality Japanese soy sauce.
- Mirin or Japanese sweet rice wine.
To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients together and simmer it on low heat until the sauce becomes slightly sticky, just like the picture below.
You can check out my video “How to Make Teriyaki Sauce for Chicken Teriyaki” above. The sauce can be made ahead so I always make a big batch and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
This recipe is perfect as a meal prep for the entire week! Trust me, you won’t get bored of eating this dish. Enjoy!
Serve Chicken Teriyaki with:
For a wholesome Japanese dinner, make the following dishes.