Oahu is a real gem for Japanese food, thanks to the many Japanese tourists and also locals who are obsessed with Japanese cuisine.
Other Recipes You Might Like
There are countless authentic Japanese restaurants dotting Waikiki Beach: ramen joint, sushi bar, izakaya, and yakiniku (Japanese BBQ).
I was in Japanese food heaven during the vacation; the abundant seafood and fresh produce accentuate the already great taste to tempting perfection.
Yakisoba or Japanese fried noodles/焼きそば is one of the dishes I particularly enjoyed during my stay there. Yakisoba is pretty much the Japanese version of Chinese chow mein, but there is a certain appeal about yakisoba—the ramen noodles andthe sharp-flavored benishoga (picked ginger strips) make yakisoba a bright-tasting noodle dish. I loved it.
Serve Yakisoba (Japanese Fried Noodles) with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 589 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz. yakisoba, rinsed with water and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 oz. pork, cut into small pieces and marinated with some soy sauce
- 2 oz. cabbage, roughly chopped into pieces
- 2 oz. carrot, cut into thin strips
- Some scallions, cut into thin threads
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/2 teaspoon mirin
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Heat up wok with oil. Add garlic and stir fry until light brown in color. Add pork and do a few quick stirs before adding cabbage and carrot. Stir a few times and add noodles and all the seasonings. Continue to stir-fry until the vegetables and noodles are cooked, for 1-2 minutes. Transfer out and serve immediately with some benishoga (Japanese picked ginger).
You can find fresh yakisoba noodles at Japanese stores or Asian stores. Usually, they come with yakisoba seasoning sauce. You can use the sauce or make yakisoba from scratch using my yakisoba recipe above.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 589Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 13mgSodium 711mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 19g