Snow Skin Mooncake Recipe
Makes 8 Mooncakes
130g Cooked Glutinous Rice Flour (Gao Fen) Sifted
160g powdered sugar
130 ml boiled carrot, dragonfruit juice or screwpine leaves juice
2 Tbsp fresh milk
1 Tbsp shortening (I use Crisco)
1 kg Moocake paste (Red Bean, Lotus, Green tea)
80g melon seeds (lightly toasted)
Note: The filling is available at bakery supply shop in Malaysia and Singapore. For those of you who wants to make the lotus paste, you can get the recipe from here.
- Squeeze the juice and heat till boiling point. Cool the juice in fridge for about 4-6 hours.
- Sieve together the icing sugar and cooked glutinous flour.
- Add in the shortening. Combine until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add in the juice and milk. Mix to a soft and smooth dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 60g and roll into a ball. Wrap each ball with cling wrap until ready to use.
- Add melon seeds to mooncake paste.
- Roll it tightly into a ball of 120g each.
To make Mooncakes
- Lightly dust hands with cooked glutinous rice flour. Flatten the dough. Place the filling into the center of the dough.
- Wrapped it up tightly and seal the edges.
- Put in a floured mooncake mould. Tap and remove it.
- Chill for at least 6 hours before serving.