What Is a Mooncake?
Mooncake is a Chinese pastry made and consumed during mid autumn festival or 中秋节, which falls on August 15th on lunar calendar.
A mooncake usually has a pastry-like crust and the inside of mooncake is filled with fillings such as red bean paste, lotus seed paste and even durian.
Other Recipes You Might Like
This Durian Mooncake recipe is from my contributor Siew Loon. She was inspired by the recipe and photography from Ann Coo Journal that she had to make these durian mooncake. If you love durian, you will definitely love the flavor.
This year, mid autumn festival falls on September 24, 2018. You can still get durian if you are in Malaysia or Singapore, so hurry up and make a batch of these mooncake to celebrate.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 160 calories per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 11 g gelatin (plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 300 g fresh or frozen durian pulp
- 125 g snow skin (pinpe) flour
- 30 g Gao Fen (cooked/fried glutinous flour)
- 130 g water / carrot juice
- 25 g shortening
- 25 g cing sugar
- 1-2 drops coloring
- 1 tablespoon gao fen (for dusting)
- Mix the gelatin with water and microwave for 1 minute till gelatin is dissolved. Add to the durian pulp. Scoop 25g of the durian filling and roll into a ball. Wrap tightly with clear food wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Combine the snow skin (pinpe) and Gao Fen together. Set aside.
- In a pot, mix the water or carrot juice together with the shortening and icing sugar. Bring to boil and stir until well combined with a hand whisk. Add the hot water mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until smooth and become a soft dough. Add the coloring and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 30g balls and wrap the durian filling in it. Dust a 50g mooncake mold with some gao fen. Gently press the mooncake into the mould to form the shape. Turn the mould over and tap gently to release the mooncake. Store the mooncake in an airtight container. Chill for a few hours or overnight before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Glutinous rice flour and goa fen will be available in Asian supermarkets.
Is it possible for you to post recipes in cups, tbsp., tsp, etc, as well as grams? I’ve tried doing conversions on the internet and seems no 2 websites give the same amounts so I’m at a loss how many cups etc to use.
Are there alternative ingredients for cooked glutinous rice flour and goa fen? these are not available from supermarkets in Canada….. thanks much!
There is no substitute for that. :(
can we prepare the durian moon cake from scratch. Both the cooked glutinous rice flour and the gao fen are not available from supermarkets in Canada. Thanks.
all these are family favorites