Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew (Ayam Pongteh)
Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew (Ayam Pongteh) – Wonderful, homey Malacca Nyonya dish made with chicken, potato, and flavored taucheo and gula Melaka.
Many readers asked me for my Ayam Pongteh recipe, or Nyonya chicken and potato stew. Believe it or not, before this post, I have never had ayam pongteh, even though I grew up with my late grandmother, who was a true blue Penang Nyonya.
Much like the Cincaluk Omelet (telur dadar cincaluk) recipe that I shared, Ayam Pongteh is a Malacca (Melaka) Nyonya dish. Made with chicken, potato and flavored with taucheo (fermented soy bean sauce) and gula Melaka (palm sugar), ayam pongteh is a homey and wonderful dish…
I adapted this ayam pongteh recipe from my friend House of Annie, except that I reduced the amount of dark soy sauce because dark soy sauce is mostly used for coloring purposes instead of flavor. Try it out, I am sure you will love this.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 526 calories per serving.
Ayam Pongteh Recipe (Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew)
Ayam Pongteh (Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew)
- 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup taucheo, fermented bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar, chopped
- 1 3- lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, about 18 pieces
- 4 small boiling potatoes, Yukons or Reds will hold better than Russets, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1Pound shallots and garlic into a coarse paste. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil over medium heat, add shallots and garlic paste and fry for about 2 minutes, making sure not to burn the paste.
- 3Add tauheo, dark soy sauce, and palm sugar. Stir until palm sugar has dissolved and liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add chicken and potatoes and the 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- 5When the water boils, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.
- 6Season with salt and soy sauce to taste. Serve hot with steamed rice.