The Best Banana Bread
This is the best banana bread recipe ever! It is super easy to make, extremely moist and full of sweet banana flavors and aromas.
This recipe is perfect to have on hand now that kids are back in school.
I love to slice the banana bread after it has cooled completely and store slices in Ziplock bags for on the go breakfasts or snacks.
How To Make the Best Banana Bread?
This homemade banana bread is the best because it’s so moist and made with yogurt. I used a honey/vanilla yogurt, but you can have fun experimenting with other flavors.
I combine the bananas and other wet ingredients by hand; you don’t need a mixer for this recipe!
Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and pour into a parchment lined loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
What Kind Of Bananas To Use?
You can use bananas found in grocery stores.
Be sure to use overripe bananas for this moist banana bread recipe because they incorporate smoothly into the batter.
Over-ripe bananas are sweeter because more starch has been converted to sugar.
What Do You Eat With Banana Bread?
I love to store my banana bread slices in the refrigerator and eat them chilled. However, you can always heat them up in a toaster or microwave if you like it warm.
Banana bread can be served with hot tea or coffee for a quick breakfast.
Try spreading peanut butter on a slice for a twist on peanut butter sandwich!
- Use brown sugar for a nice golden brown color and its molasses flavor.
- Toast the walnut in the oven for extra nutty flavors.
- Lining your loaf pan with parchment paper ensures your banana bread will not stick. Cut a length of parchment to fit in the bottom of your pan with extra over hang. Spray the parchment directly with cooking spray.
- This recipe is very flexible. You can add nuts, chocolate chips and even peanut butter chips. Dust any of these mix-ins with flour to suspend them in the batter.
- You can use demerara sugar on top for a sweet crust. Sprinkle on top of batter before baking in the oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Bananas?
Yes, you can freeze whole, peeled bananas. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in a Ziplock bag for up to 6 months. Defrost frozen bananas in the fridge overnight before baking.
How to Mash Bananas for Banana Bread
You can use a masher to mash bananas. If you don’t have a masher, you can use the back of a big spoon to mash bananas.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, wrap tightly in foil and seal in a Ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 288 calories per serving/per slice.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Banana bread is great as breakfast or afternoon snack. It goes well with the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped (150 g)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 g)
- 1 cup brown sugar (200 g)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed (1 1/2 cups or 450 g)
- 1/4 cup plain whole fat yogurt (4 tablespoons)
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional (Captain Morgan brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a loaf pan (9x5 inch loaf pan).
- Add the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, slide in the oven and toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, stir the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla with a spoon. Add rum, if using. Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, mixing just until combined. The batter should be thick and chunky. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake the banana bread until the surface appears golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Let cool the banana bread in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove from the loaf pan, slice and serve warm.
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
Serving Size12 slices
Amount Per Serving Calories 288Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 43mgSodium 2169mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 22gProtein 6g