The Best Asian Popcorn Chicken
Martin Yan’s China is his most recent cookbook and this crispy popcorn chicken is an adaptation of his recipe.
When Chef Yan was traveling in Guangzhou, he chanced upon a street vendor selling crispy chicken nuggets flavored with Chinese five spice powder—an aromatic yet deeply-flavorful Chinese ingredient. For this specific street-style crispy fried chicken recipe, it calls for five spice powder, a common ingredient in Chinese cooking.
The Chinese five spice powder lends a nice aroma to the fried chicken. I just love it. Chinese five spice powder can be found at Asian stores or online.
This ingredient also makes a great marinate for many other Chinese dishes. Try it and I am sure you will be delighted with this recipe.
Ingredients for Popcorn Chicken
- Chicken breast/thigh
- Chinese five spice powder
- Sesame oil
- Ground white pepper
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is It Called Popcorn Chicken?
The chicken owes its name to being tiny and bite-sized.
How Many Calories?
This recipe has 197 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This meal is best served as a snack. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) boneless and skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for deep-frying
- Add the five spice powder, sugar, salt, and white pepper. Stir well.
- Add the chicken pieces and marinate in the fridge for 1 - 4 hours.
- Heat up the oil into a wok for deep-frying. Dip the chicken nuggets in the beaten egg and then coat with the corn starch evenly. Deep-fry the chicken until they turn golden brown, remove from the oil and place on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve immediately and dip with your favorite chili sauce.
Click for Conversion Tool.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 197Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 113mgSodium 327mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 26g