Fried Spring Rolls Recipe
Spring rolls are known as as “popiah” (簿饼) in Malaysia.
It’s is a popular snack and appetizer all over Malaysia, usually sold by hawkers.
In fact, these fried popiah are so popular that every ethnic group in Malaysia, be it Chinese, Malay, or Muslim-Indian (known as “mamak“), has their own interpretation of spring rolls.
In Penang, the culinary and street food capital of Malaysia, these crispy fried rolls are called popiah chee” in Penang Hokkien dialect.
They are stuffed with fillings made of the following ingredients:
- Shredded jicama (yam bean)
- Shrimp or pork
- Other ingredients such as diced bean curds (firm tofu), mushrooms and French beans can be added.
The ingredients used are quite versatile and extensive but the taste is absolutely delicious.
In fact, Malaysian fried spring rolls are my absolute favorite!
Bottled chili sauce is the dipping sauce for serving fried spring rolls, for example: Lingham chili sauce.
The spicy, sweet, salty, and garlicky Malaysian chili sauce is great and fires up the palate for more servings of spring rolls.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 596 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 pack spring roll wrappers
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 150 g (5 oz.) chicken meat, chopped finely
- 150 g (5 oz.) baby shrimp, chopped finely
- 5-6 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped finely
- 200 g (7 oz.) yam bean, sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) carrot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch, mix with water
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- In a wok, heat up cooking oil. Add in garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in chicken, shrimps, and mushrooms and continue to stir-fry until cooked.
- Add in yam bean, carrot, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, add in 1cup of water, cover up with lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add in seasoning ingredients and mix well. Dish out and set aside.
- Place a piece of spring roll wrapper. Top up 2 spoonfuls of the fillings on the wrapper and then fold in the two sides and roll up. Using flour mixture to seal up the edges.
- Heat up wok, pour in 2 cups of cooking oil. Deep fry the spring rolls until golden brown and crispy with medium heat. Dish out and drain with paper towels. Serve hot with chili sauce.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 596Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 132mgSodium 1318mgCarbohydrates 78gFiber 5gSugar 2gProtein 26g