A ham and cheese bun is a sweet and savory bun with ham filling and cheese-mayonnaise topping.
This is an easy homemade bun recipe that makes savory and soft buns just like the best bakeries!
When you combine two sinfully good ingredients such as ham and cheese together, you get the best tasting buns.
The taste is savory yet sweet at the same time, making these buns utterly irresistible, especially with a cup of coffee or tea.
It was quite challenging to bake these buns but at the same time I really enjoyed the process.
The secret to cottony, pillowy soft buns is the sponge dough, which is made a night before or 8 hours before making the buns.
This amazing recipe is from Alex Goh’s Baking Code.
The lovely aroma fills the house when the buns are fresh off from the oven.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 368 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with a bowl of steamed white rice. For a wholesome Japanese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 400 g (14 oz.) high protein flour or bread flour
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 60 g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 100 g Sponge Dough
- 2 large eggs
- 80 g (3 oz.) water
- 80 g (3 oz.) butter
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) high protein flour or or bread flour
- 60 g (2 oz.) water
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast
Ham and Cheese Bun
- 16 pieces ham, small pieces
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley leaves
- Prepare Sponge Dough. Mix all ingredients. Knead well to form a dough.
- Proof for 30 minutes and keep refrigerated for at least 8 hours or best overnight
- When ready, mix Ingredients A until well blended.
- Add in B and gradually add in C. Use a dough hook to beat until you get a dough.
- Add in D and continue beating on medium speed until you get a smooth and elastic dough.
- Cover dough and let it proof for 40 minutes or until double in size.
- To make Ham and Cheese Buns, divide dough into 16 pieces each and roll it out.
- Put a piece of ham in the middle. Roll it up tightly but reveal a little bit of the ham at the edge.
- Let it proof for 40 minutes or double in size. Squeeze some mayonnaise on the top of the bun and sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with some chopped parsley leaves. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes.
To convert the measurement, please refer to the conversion tool.
Amount Per Serving Calories 442Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 129mgSodium 1571mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 39g