This time of year, I crave homey comfort food such as Asian soups and stews to keep me warm. I love the idea of a slow-cooked meat and potato dish, with liquid.
This Japanese meat and potato recipe or Nikujaga fits the bill. Nikujaga is a very common winter dish in Japan. It’s such a delightful dish to eat, with a bowl of piping hot steamed rice.
Other Recipes You Might Like
I first had Nikujaga at a Japanese restaurant. I was instantly hooked on the sweet and savory taste.
Thanks to the Japanese store near my house, I was able to get all ingredients easily and I have been making it for a few years. I am so glad that finally I get to share my recipe with you.
If you love meat and potatoes, shake things up in your kitchen and try it. This is absolutely delicious and I can assure you that your family would enjoy it.
Serve Japanese Meat and Potato Stew (Nikujaga) with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 368 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 oz onion, quartered
- 8 oz thinly sliced pork or beef
- 2 oz carrots
- 6 oz potatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 cups water or dashi, preferred
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin, Japanese sweet wine seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 oz shirataki noodles or Konnyaku noodles, (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into 2-inch strips
- Heat up a small soup pot on medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the onion, stirring a few times before adding the meat. Stirring and cooking, then add the carrots and potatoes. Stir to combine well with the meat.
- Add the water and bring it to boil. Add the soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are cooked through and the sauce reduces. Add the Shirataki noodles, cook for 1 minute. Add salt and the scallions. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
If you can't find Shirataki noodles, feel feel to skip it.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 54mgSodium 1336mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 19g