Chicken Stew Recipe
This chicken stew is a classic Chinese-Cantonese recipe that is hearty, delicious and great through the year, especially during winter.
When the temperature dips, chicken stew is my favorite goto food, especially if it’s made in a Chinese claypot.
This easy chicken stew recipe is made with chicken, black fungus in a savory brown sauce.
Black fungus is a popular ingredient in Chinese recipes.
Black fungus are similar to shiitake mushrooms, except that the texture is thinner but every bite is a snappy crunch.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Chicken Stew Ingredients
Stew chicken calls for the following ingredients:
- Oyster sauce
- Chinese cooking wine
- Sesame oil
- Black fungus or shiitake mushrooms
How to Make Stew Chicken?
It’s so easy to make chicken stew. The cooking process is effortless.
All you have to do is add all the ingredients in a claypot, add some liquid, cover the lid and let the claypot does its magic.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Chinese Claypot?
Claypot is a made from clay found only in China. It cooks well with a direct flame or direct contact with an electric burner.
Chicken stew in these pots represent an authentic part of Chinese cuisine. Known as 砂锅，or “sandy pots,” it comes with a sandy exterior.
Claypot produces hearty, easy and delicious meals, and it’s one of the least expensive utensils to invest in any kitchen.
What Other Cookware Can I Use for Chicken Stew?
If you don’t have a claypot, you can stew chicken using a Dutch oven, a ceramic pot, a skillet with a lid, a slow cooker or an Instant pot!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 343 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve stew chicken with steamed rice. For a wholesome Chinese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch (2 cm) piece ginger, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
- 8 oz. (226 g) chicken thigh or chicken leg, cut into pieces
- 2-3 pieces dried black fungus or cloud ear, soaked in warm water and cut into pieces
- 2 stalks scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Heat up a Chinese claypot on high heat. (You may use a skillet or wok.)
- Add the oil into the claypot. When the oil is heated, add the ginger and stir fry until aromatic. Add the chicken and stir continuously until the meat turns opaque.
- Add the black fungus, stir to combine well. Add the sauce, stir to coat well with the chicken. Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer on low heat, for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken has become tender. If the sauce dries up, add some water to dilute the sauce. Right before serving, stir in the scallions. Serve warm with steamed rice.
If you don't like black fungus, you can substitute with dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 343Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 111mgSodium 505mgCarbohydrates 5gProtein 19g