Ginger and black fungus chicken is a plain and humble dish that anyone can whip up in their kitchen, and most importantly, it’s delicious and goes well with steamed rice.
This ginger chicken dish is inspired by a recipe from “Thai Cooking Made Easy,” a must-have Thai cookbook in my opinion. I have no doubt that the recipe is originally Chinese as many Thai recipes are adaptations of Chinese food. I like it that fermented beans are used in the sauce (which is absent from the traditional Chinese version), it adds a lot of depth to the taste of the chicken and black fungus. The addition of red onion is a nice touch, too…
Do trymy ginger chicken with black fungus recipe, eat well, stay healthy, and have a wonderful weekend.
Other recipes adapted from “Thai Cooking Made Easy:”
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 112 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 skinless & boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 inches (5cm) ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet soy sauce, (kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fermented soy beans (taucheo)
- 4 pieces dried black fungus, pre-softened in warm water for 30 minutes, then cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 stalk scallion, cut into 1 inch length
- Heat up the cooking oil in a wok and stir fry the ginger strips until aromatic. Add in the onions and black fungus and do a few quick stirs. Add the fermented soy bean before adding the chicken strips into the wok. Stir-fry the chicken meat until the color changes, then add in oyster sauce, kecap manis, and sugar. Stir all ingredients together before adding in the water. Add the scallions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve hot with steamed rice.
Black fungus is also called "cloud ear" (云耳) or "wood ear" (木耳). You can purchase the cookbook "Thai Cooking Made Easy" from my Amazon store. Click here to buy.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 112Total Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 18mgSodium 119mgCarbohydrates 7gSugar 4gProtein 6g