If there is a chicken recipe that I constantly make at home, it would be this sesame oil chicken recipe.
Sesame oil chicken or 麻油鸡.
I make it at least once every few weeks, with lots of ginger and sesame oil.
It’s a homey dish that everyone enjoys.
Other Recipes You Might Like
In Malaysia, sesame oil chicken or pork is often served to new mothers, during the confinement month after childbirth.
Chinese people believe that ginger and sesame oil are hearty ingredients that help strengthen and nourish the body of new mothers and will speed up recovery after childbirth.
This chicken is so delicious and takes only a few ingredients: ginger, sesame oil, chicken and soy sauce. Stew and braise the chicken, preferably in Chinese clay pot, and you will have the most amazing, aromatic, tender and utterly mouthwatering chicken for steamed rice.
The best thing about it is that it takes only 20 minutes to make.
Try it for dinner tonight, I will guarantee you that you will make it a dinner staple!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 165 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Sesame Oil Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2-3 inches ginger knob (peeled and cut into thin strips)
- 12 oz. chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine or Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- Heat up a skillet or wok over high heat and add the sesame oil. When the oil is fully heated, add the ginger strips and stir fry until light brown or aromatic.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for about 10-15 seconds before adding the soy sauce, wine, and ground white pepper. Add the water and do a few quick stirs.
- Cover the skillet or wok with the lid and turn the heat to low heat and let the chicken cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the meat becomes tender. Dish out and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
This almost forgotten sesame oil chicken recipes, In the 70’s that my mom alway cook and whole family love it, thank you very much…….
Hi. If i double the chicken meat, do i also need to double everything else? Thanks in advance.
Most likely but you probably don’t need double the soy sauce.