What Is Honey Sesame Chicken?
I created that recipe two years ago and many readers have requested variations of that recipe.
The Best Way to Prepare This Meal
To make this chicken, all you need are a few everyday ingredients that you can get at any food store or supermarket. This recipe is super simple, and you can make it anytime you want.
While most people don’t like to do deep-frying at home, I strongly urge you to do so with this honey sesame chicken recipe and other Chinese recipes on Rasa Malaysia.
The reason why we all love Chinese takeouts and dishes so much is because of the deep-fried chicken coated with rich and savory sauce.
Eat them with some warm steamed rice and you have your guilty pleasure.
So I say forget about baked chicken, let’s fry the chicken and give your stomach and palate a treat.
We all deserve to indulge once in a while.
How to Fry the Chicken
The sweetest thing about this recipe is that you don’t even really need to deep fry the chicken, as a shallow fry works very well at home.
You don’t need a deep fryer, or 6 inches of oil to deep fry a batch of chicken for dinner.
You just need a small saute pan (non-stick preferably for ease of cleaning and frying), about 2 inches of oil, a pair of long chopsticks, and you are good.
There is no wastage of oil, no splattering oil, but gloriously fried chicken pieces ready to be cooked with the sweet, tangy, and savory honey sesame sauce.
Easy, breezy, and no fuss!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 416 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes or long strips
- oil for deep-frying
- 2 garlic, minced
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water, ice cold
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch salt
Honey Sesame Sauce:
- 1/3 cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk all the "Frying Batter" ingredients together until smooth. Set aside. Drop in the chicken cubes, mix well until they are well coated. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of the "Honey Sesame Sauce" together and set aside.
- Heat up a saute pan and add about 2-inch of oil on medium to high heat. When the oil is fully heated, gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking together. Continue to fry until the color changes to golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of the frying oil in a wok or skillet, stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add in the Honey Sesame Sauce, and bring to a light simmer or until the sauce thickens. Drop in the chicken, stir-fry a few times to combine the sauce and chicken, add the sesame seeds, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice, or Chinese fried rice.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 416Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 145mgSodium 1517mgCarbohydrates 91gFiber 1gSugar 47gProtein 53g