Honey Chicken Recipe
Honey chicken is a popular Chinese recipe. If you love Chinese food, you will love this simple and delicious dish.
The crispy chicken is deep-fried on stove top and glazed in a sweet and savory honey sauce. This is the best chicken and honey recipe!
How to Make Honey Chicken?
This recipe is made of the following main ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Apple cider vinegar
The first step is deep frying the chicken. I have an excellent restaurant-quality batter recipe that makes the chicken super crispy, airy and non-greasy. Next, you make the sweet glaze.
The final step is mixing the fried chicken and the honey glaze together.
How to Serve Honey Chicken?
This dish can be served as an appetizer or an entree.
- Serve the dish as an appetizer, with the sauce and the chicken separate. Dip each piece of chicken into the honey sauce before eating.
- Serve the dish as a main entree, with chow mein, fried rice or steamed rice.
Can I Freeze the Honey Sauce?
Yes, the honey glaze can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
You can increase the recipe and make double or triple the portions. The honey glaze keeps well for a week.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you sure can. Both white meat or dark meat can be used. Just make sure you cut the chicken meat into equal-sized cubes. This will ensure even cooking.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 373 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This recipe goes well with rice or noodles. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cm)
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons corn starch, mixed with 4 teaspoons of water
- salt and sugar to taste
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water, ice cold
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Marinate the chicken cubes with the Marinade for 5 minutes.
- Make the Frying Batter. In a large bowl, whisk the egg white and add in the rest of the Frying Batter ingredients. Batter should be smooth and not lumpy. Place another bowl with ice cubes underneath the frying batter bowl. Drop in the chicken cubes, mix well until they are well coated. Let it sit for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Honey Sauce together. Set aside.
- Heat up a wok on high heat with cooking oil. Gently drop in the chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking or overcrowding the wok. Turn the heat down to medium-high and continue to deep-fry until golden brown. Remove the chicken with a strainer and drained on paper towels.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the oil in the wok. Add the garlic and stir fry until aromatic. Add the Honey Sauce mixture and the cornstarch mixture. Thicken the sauce and add more salt or sugar to taste.
- Add the chicken into the sauce. Stir to combine well. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately. Alternatively, keep the sauce separate from the chicken and serve as an appetizer.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Total Fat 7.7gSaturated Fat 0.6gCholesterol 130mgSodium 551mgCarbohydrates 20.8gFiber 0.3gSugar 5.5gProtein 54.4g