Japanese Potato Salad Recipe
Japanese potato salad is a delicious, comforting side dish made from potato, cucumber, shallot, and imitation crab meat then coated with savory Japanese mayonnaise dressing. This quick and easy potato salad recipe makes a simple appetizer in only 25 minutes.
Potato salad is also a popular dish in Japan and every family has their take. This recipe is so easy that you will never fail. Good vegetables and proteins substitutes will be carrot, corn, pea, eggs, ham, shrimp, or canned tuna.
Why the Recipe Works
This easy Japanese potato salad recipe serves up a delightful side dish in less than 30 minutes with only a few everyday ingredients. It’s also a perfect appetizer for any season.
This recipe is also freezer-friendly, so you can make a large batch in advance. It makes a delicious side for a bento box too.
Japanese Potato Salad Ingredients
A simply delicious Japanese potato salad dish calls for the following ingredients:
- Persian cucumber
- Shallot (or red onion)
- Imitation crab meat
Homemade creamy dressing is made with Japanese mayonnaise, condensed milk, salt, and ground black pepper.
How to Make Japanese Potato Salad?
First, peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Make sure to cut them into roughly the same size, so they cook through evenly. You can either boil or steam them until soft and tender.
Second, gently mash the potatoes and leave some small chunks for texture. Set aside to cool down.
Meanwhile, prepare Persian cucumber slices and shallot slices by soaking them in salted water for a few minutes. Then, drain and squeeze them hard to remove the excess water.
Finally, combine all prepared veggies and imitation crab meat with Japanese mayonnaise and condensed milk, then add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
For the best result, please follow my tips:
- To make a creamy potato salad, cook or steam the potatoes until soft and tender. However, we don’t want the potatoes to be overcooked, which will be too moist and easily fall apart.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth but leave a few small chunks for the perfect texture.
- Soaking cucumber and shallot slices in salted water will help remove the pungency from shallot (or onion) and make cucumber crunchier.
Frequently Asked Question
Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpie) is the key to this recipe, adding a unique flavor to this irreplaceable dish. Unlike regular mayonnaise made with whole egg and white vinegar, Japanese mayonnaise contains only egg yolks mixed with rice or apple cider vinegar, which adds a tangy and savory taste to the dish.
Any potato works for this recipe. I recommend using waxy potatoes, such as red potato, white potato, or Yukon gold potato. It helps to create a creamy texture for the dish.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 258 per serving.
- 2 potatoes (about 5 ounces each), peeled and diced
- 1/2 Persian cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 4 imitation crab meat, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise Kewpie
- 1 tablespoon condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Peel and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a steamer, and steam the potatoes for 15 minutes until soft and tender.
- Gently mash the potatoes and leave some small chunks for texture. Set aside to cool down before mixing.
- Prepare Persian cucumber slices and shallot slices by soaking them in salted water for a few minutes. Drain and squeeze hard to remove the excess water. Set them aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add mashed potato, cucumber slices, shallot slices, imitation crab meat, and seasoning with Japanese mayonnaise, condensed milk, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well with a spatula.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate it for 30 minutes to have a chilled Japanese potato salad.
Waxy potatoes are best here. Try red or Yukon gold for the best flavor.
Amount Per Serving Calories 258Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1.9gCholesterol 26mgSodium 1843mgCarbohydrates 32.4gFiber 3.6gSugar 6.8gProtein 5.3g