How to Make Teriyaki Chicken?
Imagine tender and juicy chicken thighs doused in sweet and savory teriyaki chicken sauce, served with steamed white rice in a bowl…yummy.
You can make this delicious dish using pantry ingredients that you already have at home.
There are many Japanese teriyaki chicken recipes. What I am sharing with you is a super easy and quick homemade recipe with simple steps.
- First, marinate the chicken with the marinade: soy sauce, sugar and Japanese cooking sake.
- Transfer the marinated chicken and the teriyaki sauce to a skillet and let cook slowly.
- Transfer the chicken out and serve with rice.
Japanese Cooking Sake is the Secret Ingredient
Most Japanese recipes call for cooking sake, which is Japanese rice wine made for cooking. It’s a lower grade sake and not for drinking.
Sake rice wine infuses the sauce with the earthy aroma, making this dish absolutely tantalizing.
If you have an Asian store or Japanese store where you are, pick up a bottle of cooking sake. If not, you can always order it online. If you cant’ take alcohol, just skip this ingredient and use water instead.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
For a quick meal, make steamed rice or brown rice. Once the chicken is cooked through, serve it on top of a bowl of rice.
Spoon the teriyaki sauce on top of the chicken, sprinkles some white sesame and chopped scallion and you’ll have a complete meal, or just like the pictures here.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with steamed rice as a teriyaki chicken bowl. For a wholesome Japanese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 324 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Japanese cooking sake, optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- white sesame, for garnishing
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, sugar, and cooking sake for 20 minutes. Heat up a skillet with the oil on low heat. When the oil is heated, transfer the chicken and the marinade sauce into the skillet and let cook slowly. Turn the chicken over after 5 minutes and continue to cook on low heat, for another 5 minutes.
- Dish out and garnish with some sesame seeds. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 162mgSodium 906mgCarbohydrates 7gSugar 6gProtein 34g