Contributor: Ho Siew Loon
Welcome back to our Bao series! We shall start the series with our ever green Kaya Bao. Bao or steamed buns are popular among the Chinese communities and is usually eaten during breakfast or as a snack at any time of the day and it goes very well with a cup of coffee…
Bao looks simple to make but in actual fact it is not an easy task to get the soft texture. I have tried many recipes and have finally settled down to this recipe and has remained a favorite.
It is a lovely snack where you can wrap it up with your favorite filling like kaya, red bean pasted, meat many many more.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 216 calories per serving.
Kaya Bao. Bao or steamed buns are popular among the Chinese communities and is usually eaten during breakfast or as a snack at any time of the day.
- 500 g low protein flour or Bao flour
- 9 g Instant yeast
- 2 teaspoon double action baking powder
- 100 g fine sugar
- 230 ml water / Pandan juice, Blend 6 pandan leaves with water plus 1 tsp vinegar
- 50 g shortening
To make dough:
- 1Mix all ingredients together and knead until it is smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and leave dough aside to rest for 15-20 minutes.
To wrap Bao:
- 1Scoop Kaya filling with a small ice cream scoop or 1/2 Tbsp to make balls.
- 2Divide dough into 50g each.
- 3Flatten dough and wrap the filling.
- 4Let it rest for 40 minutes or till Bao is double in size.
- 5Steam Bao for 15 minutes.