Mee Siam is usually served with a piece of kalamansi lime (the juice gives an extra tangy kick to the noodles) and a dollop of sambal on the side.
When I was researching for Mee Siam recipes, I came across two distinct variations: dry vs. wet. The version I am sharing today is Malaysian Mee Siam recipe, which is dry. Singapore Mee Siam is often wet and topped with gravy.
Regardless of the regional adaptations, Mee Siam is a popular noodle dish in Malaysia and Singapore. It’s delicious, appetizing and a crowd pleaser.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 600 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 oz vermicelli, rice sticks
- 12 oz bean sprouts
- 12 shrimps, shelled and deveined
- 4 oz chicken, cut into thin strips
- 3 pieces fried bean curd/firm tofu, cut into pieces
- 3 stalks Chinese chives, chopped into 1-inch length
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- soy sauce or fish sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 red chilies
- 5 shallots
- 5 garlic
- 2 tablespoons taucheo
- fermented yellow bean sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten, seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped into 1/2-inch length
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- Soak the vermicelli in warm water for about 30 minutes or until they turn soft. Drain and set aside. Using a food processor, grind the spice paste and set aside. Heat up a wok with some oil and make the beaten eggs into an omelet. Fold and slice the omelet thinly. Set aside.
- Heat up the wok and add 3 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is heated. fry the spice paste until aromatic and the oil separates. Add shrimps and chicken, stir-frying until half done, then add the fried tofu pieces.
- Add the vermicelli and keep stirring until the the spice paste has spread evenly. Add sugar and salt to taste, follow by bean sprouts and chives. Continue to stir-fry until the vegetables are cooked. Taste and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt or sugar to taste. If the noodles taste bland, add a little soy sauce / fish sauce to taste.
- Transfer the Mee Siam onto a big serving bowl and garnish with the omelet strips, chopped scallions, chili and lime wedges. Serve immediately.
I can't get kalamansi limes where I am, so I am using regular lime.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 600Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 129mgSodium 340mgCarbohydrates 92gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 18g