What Is Fruit Cake?
Fruit cake is a traditional British Christmas cake that is full of fruits and nuts and laced with alcohol, usually brandy.
This gives the fruit cake a subtle brandy flavor and a moist texture, plus it also allows the fruit cake to be stored for a long time.
I always enjoy eating it with a glass of red wine or even a cup of espresso.
Check out this moist fruit cake recipe as the method calls for boiling the ingredients first before baking.
Ingredients for Fruit Cake Recipe
- Orange juice
- Milk powder
- Mixed spices
- Cinnamon powder
- Baking soda
Frequently Asked Questions
What Alcohol Is Best for Fruit Cake?
It is best to use dark rum or brandy for this recipe. Brush 1-2 tablespoons over the cake right when it is removed from the oven.
How Do You Preserve Fruit Cake?
To store, wrap the cake in brandy soaked towels, and then wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Do You Need to Refrigerate Fruit Cake?
If stored correctly, the cake will last a month at normal room temperature. In the fridge, it should keep for 6 months.
How Many Calories?
This recipe has 246 calories.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This meal is best served as a dessert. For a great holiday assortment, I recommend the following desserts.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 7 cups mixed dried fruits, chopped (Please refer to Notes for preparation method)
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- Grease and line 5-6 mini loaf pans. Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Sift the flour, milk powder and spices together.
- Combine mixed fruits, butter, sugar, honey, orange juice and baking soda in a large saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat. Stir consistently. Remove the saucepan and leave to cool.
- Combine the eggs and gently beat it using a fork. Gently stir it into the cooled cake mixture. Fold in the sifted ingredients. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until cooked.
- Remove the cake and brush the top with brandy. Cover it tightly with aluminium foil. The cake is best eaten after a few days of aging.
To prepare 2-3 weeks in advance:
7 cups chopped mixed fruits (assortment of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries, dried apricots, mixed peel and glazed cherries). 1 cup of nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans or pistachio). 1 - 1.5 cups brandy or rum. Pour the brandy or rum into the chopped mixed fruits and nuts. Keep it in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks before use.
Click for Conversion Tool.
Serving Size6 loaves
Amount Per Serving Calories 1235Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 21gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 205mgSodium 560mgCarbohydrates 231gFiber 18gSugar 163gProtein 15g