Curry Puff is a Malaysian snack filled with curried potatoes and chicken meat, wrapped with a crispy pastry shell. They are popular in both Malaysian and Singapore; they are deep-fried and commonly sold by street vendors or hawkers.
Authentic curry puffs call have a spiral shape, wrapped with a pastry shell that is made from scratch, consisting of oil dough and water dough.
This is a baked curry puff recipe, using a store-bought puff pastry shell, which is quick, easy and delicious nonetheless.
If you have time and would love to make curry puff from scratch, please check out my spiral curry puff recipe.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon kurma powder or chicken curry powder
- 2 teaspoons meat or chicken curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup finely diced chicken breast meat
- 2 large potatoes (boiled and finely diced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. plain flour
- 5 oz. margarine or shortening
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Make the filling first. Heat oil and fry onion gently until golden brown. Add the kurma powder, curry powder, chili, turmeric and fry gently. Add the chicken, potatoes, sugar, pepper, salt and cook for 5 minutes. Mix well and leave aside to cool.
- To make pastry, mix flour with margarine, water, salt, and knead well. Let it rest for 1/2 hour. Cut the dough into circles (3 in) in diameter. Fold pastry over to make a half circle and crimp at the edges. Deep fry in hot oil until golden.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
I remember eating them with chopped boiled egg inside. I’m going to try it !
love it..but I added long bean along with the potatoes cos my daughter love the long bean. Thanks for the tips..
I meant to give 5 star ratings instead of 4. Amazing recipe! I used store-bought pastry instead of making it from scratch. They turned out really well!
I prepared this dish with puff pastry dough crust and baked for a bakers club meet. It came out very well the filling was also amazing. Loved your recipe.