Sambal Okra Recipe
This is one of the best okra recipes. Okra is also called Ladies’ Fingers in England and Commonwealth countries.
Sambal okra is made with fresh okra, sambal (chili and Malaysian belacan or shrimp paste) plus shrimp.
It’s my favorite vegetable dish. It’s so healthy, delicious and great with rice.
Okra is actually a plant in the mallow family.
The edible green seed pods has tiny hairs on the surface. After okras are cooked, they become sticky.
In the south part of United States, fried okras are very popularly.
In South Asia and Southeast Asia, okras are used in curries and stir fries.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 50 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 fresh okras (ladies fingers), sliced diagonally
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 5 fresh red chilies, blend them
- 1 teaspoon toasted Belacan, Malaysian Shrimp Paste
- 1 red chili, sliced
- cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Heat up a wok and add the cooking oil. Stir fry the garlic and add in the shrimp.
- Add the okra (ladies' fingers), blended chilies, toasted belacan and salt. Stir fry for a few minutes until the okra becomes sticky and cooked. Toss in the sliced chili, dish out and serve hot.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 50Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 25mgSodium 102mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 4g