Southern Fried Okra Recipe
Okra is my favorite vegetable ever. I love the hairy pod, the gooey slime and the soft texture. My family used to grow okra plant in our garden.
I especially love crispy Southern fried okra. They are so crunchy, addictive and the okra has no slime! It’s such a great appetizer, I just can’t stop eating.
How to Fry Okra?
In California, Okra is in season starting in June, so I got myself some okras and made them into these crunchy nuggets. Now, how to fry okra? It’s very easy and involves a few simple steps:
- Remove the cap and bottom tip of the okra and cut the pods into small pieces.
- Add the okras to buttermilk.
- Coat the okras with a dry all-purpose flour and cornmeal batter (mixture).
- Deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the excess oil on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Air Fryer to Fry Okra?
Yes you can and the end result tastes exactly the same. You can use air fryer to fry the okra after coating with the all-purpose flour and cornmeal mixture. Just add 1 tablespoon of oil to your air fryer before air frying.
What does okra taste like fried?
Okra has a mild flavor that many say tastes similar to eggplant, but the texture is more fibrous and tender. Additionally, the vegetable has a slime that will make it have a silky texture.
Is fried okra good for you?
It is pretty low in calories has a high fiber content. It has also been proven to help with blood sugar and cholesterol, making okra good for you.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This fried okra recipe is only 183 calories per serving, with 35g of carbs.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as an appetizer and goes well with a main dish. For a Southern style wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 lb. (0.2 kg) okra
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- oil, for deep frying
- Trim off the cap and tip of the okra and cut into small pieces.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, smoked paprika and ground black pepper in a bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Add the buttermilk to a bowl. Work in batches, dip the okra in the buttermilk, then coat the okra with the flour mixture. Make sure the okra is evenly coated.
- Heat up a sauce pan or frying pan with 2 inches of oil. Deep fry the okra (in batches) until they turn crispy and golden brown in color. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with a dipping sauce such as a spicy Ranch dipping sauce (just add Sriracha to it).
If you don't have buttermilk, just use milk and add a squirt of lemon juice, vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 183Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 599mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 7g