I told you about clearing out my fridge in my last post, so this is the second installment where I used the leftover lemongrass, shallots, and chicken breasts as the main ingredients.
I found this Vietnamese lemongrass chicken recipe on a recent copy of Food & Wine magazine–an article about Vietnamese recipes.
I believe this is not the most authentic lemongrass chicken recipe around, but it worked out really well and I enjoyed it, especially the caramelized sweet taste of this dish.
I am not going to write a lengthy post because of some last-minute shopping that I have to do, but I shall leave you with this wonderful recipe of Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 88 calories per serving.
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Recipe
Lemongrass Chicken Recipe. Simply the most aromatic and delicious Asian chicken dish ever. So easy to make and no-fuss.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tender inner white bulbs only, minced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 scallion for garnishing
- 1In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat.
- 2In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot, and chilies and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl and top with the scallion. Serve with steamed white rice.