Spanish Sangria Recipe
Sangria is a popular mixed cocktail drink from Spain and has been one of America’s favorite drinks since 1964. It’s sweet, fruity, and absolutely perfect to enjoy during summer.
This easy red sangria recipe is made from red wine, whisky, orange juice, and lemon juice, and served cold in a glass with fresh fruit slices and sparkling water.
Why This Recipe Works?
Making Spanish sangria at home is easy and quick. And, all we need are a bottle of table wine, a choice of hard liquor, fresh oranges and lemon for juice, and more tasty fruits with a cinnamon stick to jazz up the flavor.
The drink can always be prepared ahead of time. Refrigerate sangria for at least 2 hours or overnight to bring out all the flavors.
Sangria is an easygoing cocktail that can be made with any table wine. If you have some leftover wine of the day, don’t waste it. This traditional Spanish sangria recipe will surprise you with something simply delightful.
This authentic homemade Spanish sangria calls for simple ingredients:
- Red wine
- Whisky or any hard liquor of your choice
- Cinnamon stick
- Green apple
- Lemon soda or sparkling water
Spanish sangria doesn’t limit a choice of fruits. The common fruits used in sangria are sliced green apples, oranges, chopped peach, apricot, pineapples, or pears.
Adding extra sugar or syrup to sangria is optional. You may add it if you prefer a sweeter drink.
How To Make Spanish Sangria?
First, make syrup in a saucepan. Dissolve sugar in water over low heat, stir and cook until clear syrup forms. Set aside to let cool completely.
Next, wash and pat dry the orange and lemon with paper towels. Cut off thick pieces of rind and chop them in half. Squeeze out orange and lemon juice in a cup.
In a large pitcher, combine all ingredients and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
Finally, serve the drink cold in a glass with apple slices and peach slices. Top off with lemon soda (or sparkling water) if desired.
For the best result, please follow these tips:
- Deeply wash orange and lemon by rubbing them with salt. Rinse and pat dry before cutting off thick pieces of rind.
- After combining all ingredients in a pitcher, cover and refrigerate the sangria for at least 2 hours. It helps the sangria to take on all the fragrance and aroma from the fruit and the cinnamon stick.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best red wine for sangria is a dry, fruity one with low tannins. Such as, Garnacha or Pinot Noir.
You may add a little extra whiskey, brandy, or any hard liquor of your choice to make a boozy sangria as you desired.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe has 291 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 bottle (3 cups) red wine
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces whisky or any hard liquor of your choice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green apple, sliced
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 can lemon soda or sparkling water
- Adding syrup to the drink is an optional step if you like a sweeter sangria. Heat a saucepan on low heat, add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to the saucepan. Keep string until the sugar has dissolved and the clear syrup forms. Turn off the heat, transfer the syrup to a small bowl and cool down.
- Wash both orange and lemon by rubbing them with salt; rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cut off thick pieces of rind before chopping the orange and lemon in half.
- Squeeze out orange and lemon juice into a cup.
- In a large pitcher, add red wine, syrup (if you like your drink sweet), orange juice, lemon juice, and whisky, and stir to combine well. Add a cinnamon stick and the pieces of orange and lemon rind. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Serve the drink cold in a glass with apple slices and peach slices. Finally, top off with lemon soda (or sparkling water if desired). Enjoy.
Recipe source: Spanish Sabores
- Deeply wash the oranges and lemon by rubbing them with salt. Rinse and pat dry before cutting off thick pieces of rind.
- After combining all ingredients in a pitcher, cover and refrigerate the sangria for at least 2 hours. It helps the sangria to take on all the fragrance and aroma from fruits and the cinnamon stick.
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 0.4gSaturated Fat 0.1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 23mgCarbohydrates 48.7gFiber 3.6gSugar 40.7gProtein 1.3g