Greetings from Taipei!
It’s annual vacation time again when we take our son home to Malaysia to visit family. This time, we decided to stop over in Taipei for a couple of days to visit an old friend to have fun and, of course, eat.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Blue Apron Stir-Fry Chicken with Udon
- Spicy Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- Stir-fry Asparagus with Shrimp
Many years ago, when I first came to Taipei, I instantly fell in love with its food—the famous Taiwanese pineapple tarts, simple breakfast of scallion oil noodles, freshly made soy milk, salt and pepper chicken, street food, as well as the many hot stir-fry restaurants with cheap and delicious food.
Right before my vacation, I cooked up a storm in my test kitchen, many of them Taiwanese recipes, knowing that we will be here.
This recipe is adapted from my friend’s Taiwanese cookbook. I am excited at the thought that I will be trying this spicy chicken stir-fry while we are here in Taipei.
If you want to experience how this dish tastes and add a little bit of Taiwanese flavors to your dining table, please do attempt this spicy chicken stir-fry (辣子鸡丁) recipe at home.
It goes very well with steamed rice and the tint of spiciness from the Sichuan spicy bean sauce adds great flavors and nuance to this appetizing dish. Enjoy!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 267 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) chicken, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 8 slices ginger
- 2 scallions, trim and cut into 1-1/2 inch lengths
- 2 red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan soy-bean paste with chili ("douban jiang")
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Marinate the Chicken cubes for 15 minutes.
- Mix the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons cooking oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until they are 80% cooked or the surface turns white. Transfer out and set aside.
- Clean the wok and add in the remaining 1 tablespoon of Oil. When the oil is fully heated, add the garlic and ginger until aromatic.
- Add the Sauce and stir for a few times, adding the chicken back into the wok.
- Stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the Sauce.
- Add the scallion and chili, stir evenly. Dish out and serve with steam rice.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 267Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 40mgSodium 984mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 11g