These cotton soft, fluffy, moist, airy mini sponge cake are the best!
They are wrapped and baked in cute paper cups, just like the best ones at Chinese or Japanese bakery stores.
Everyone loves them and they are great for afternoon tea, breakfast, or anytime of the day when you need a quick sweet treat.
This easy recipe is 100% fail proof and novice bakers friendly!
Sponge Cake Recipe
This easy homemade sponge cake calls for five (5) simple ingredients below:
- Cake flour
- Corn starch
- Melted butter
This recipe was contributed by CP Choong.
How to Make Sponge Cake?
To make fluffy and the best Chinese sponge cake, you need to master the technique of making egg white meringue.
First, separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until frothy or when soft peaks form.
Next, gently fold in the beaten egg yolks before adding the flours. Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
Finally, stir in the melted butter and pour the batter into parchment paper-lined baking cups. Bake at 175°C (350°F).
Baking Tips for the Best Sponge Cake
Here are the tips and techniques for the best results:
- Double sift the cake flour and corn starch. This will ensure soft and cottony texture of the cake.
- Make sure you don’t overbeat the egg white meringue. They should not be dry.
- Make sure you fold and mix gently, to maintain the air bubbles in the egg white meringue.
- If possible, melt the butter using double boiler method.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Make Sponge Cake Fluffy?
If you follow the baking tips above, especially the parts on the egg white meringue and gentle folding of the cake batter, you will have fluffy cake.
Can I Use All Purpose Flour?
Yes, you sure can.
For the best texture, cake flour is the preferred choice. Using cake flour will make sure that your sponge cake turn out extra soft, fluffy and light.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 142 calories per cake.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve the cake with a cup of coffee or tea. For an afternoon tea menu, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- Parchment paper
- 10 paper muffin cups
- 60 g cake flour
- 15 g corn starch
- 5 egg whites
- 90 g fine sugar (castor sugar)
- 5 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
- 60 g melted unsalted butter
- Line the paper muffin cups with parchment paper, set aside.
- Combine the cake flour and corn starch, sift twice, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites till frothy, add sugar in three (3) batches. Beat until soft peaks form, but not dry. You may use a stand mixer or an electronic mixer to beat the egg whites.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg yolks until well combined. Add the sifted flour, fold gently until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Mix a few tablespoon of the batter with the melted butter. Pour it back to the cake batter, fold gently until well combined.
- Transfer the batter into the muffin cups, about 2/3 full.
- Bake the sponge cake in the oven. Once they are in the oven, turn the temperature down to 175°C (350°F) immediately. Bake for 20 minutes or until they turn light golden brown in color. Remove from the oven, let cool before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.