Many of my readers have been emailing me to request more vegetarian and vegan recipes on Rasa Malaysia. Even though I love vegetarian food but I just don’t make enough at home.
Great news to my fans and reader who are vegans and vegetarians because you now have a great resource: Veggie Cravings.
Veggie Cravings is my friend Korie’s blog. Korie is a food nutritionist and scientist, so she really knows her vegetarian food. Check out this amazing vegan lettuce wraps recipe from. Remember to check out her vegetarian recipes, follow her and subscribe to her emails. — Bee
Hi! I’m Korie. I share with Bee’s love of cooking and I enjoy creating vegetarian recipes. Thanks to Bee for giving me the opportunity to share my vegetarian recipe with your fellow readers. I feel humbled and honored to be part of this fun-filled cooking movement.
I am so excited that the Lunar New Year is almost here! Traditionally, the First day of the Lunar New Year is a time to celebrate with a nutritious vegetarian meal to purify and cleanse the body, and honor the Buddhist tradition.
For this occasion I’ll be having lettuce wraps, swaddled with a medley of savory vegan ingredients. Light, tasty and low-carbs, the vegan lettuce wraps are a great way to start the New Year feast with families, friends and guests.
The vegan lettuce wraps we’re making are bursting with flavors of golden sauteed mushrooms, tofu, crunchy jicama and red peppers, wrapped in tender butterhead lettuce leaves. They are drizzled with a mildly spiced hoisin sauce, and garnished with fresh cilantro and crispy fried noodles for good luck and longevity!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Again, thank-you Bee for having me at your amazing site.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 194 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 butterhead lettuce, washed, drained and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 sliced ginger
- 5 oz. (140 g) fried tofu, diced
- 3 fresh shiitake mushroom, (diced)
- 4 oz. (115 g) jicama, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, red capsicum diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- sesame seeds, toasted
- Cilantro, shredded for garnishing
- Mix dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. Mix seasoning sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash, dry and separate the leaves of 1 butterhead lettuce. Set aside. Heat skillet at medium heat, add oil and ginger. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add tofu, shitake mushrooms, jicama and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add red peppers and seasoning sauce mix. Stir fry another minute, then transfer into serving bowl.
- Assemble wraps by spooning 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto the lettuce leaves, top with a teaspoon of dipping sauce, and garnish with cilantro and some fried vermicelli (optional). This will make about 8 wraps depending on the size of the lettuce leaves.
You can find the fresh shiitake mushrooms in most Asian grocery stores. If not, you can use dried shiitake mushrooms by soaking them in warm water for 30 minutes, drain and then dice. Pre-fried tofu can be found in most Asian grocery stores. If not, you can use fresh firm tofu. The vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce (http://amzn.to/1ZCC1rO) and mushroom seasoning (http://amzn.to/1SnEcen) can also be found in most Asian grocery stores. You can use either the vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce or the ABC sweet soy sauce (http://amzn.to/205TPbL) (both contain wheat so they are not gluten free). For a gluten free option, you can replace the same amount of mushroom oyster sauce with tamari sauce (http://amzn.to/205TFkD). The fried noodles for garnishing and are optional. You can prepare them in advance by deep frying some bean thread noodles (cellophnae noodles).
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 194Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 1055mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 5gSugar 11gProtein 7g