Many of my readers have been emailing me to request more vegetarian and vegan recipes on Rasa Malaysia. Even though I love vegetarian food but I just don’t make enough at home.
Great news to my fans and reader who are vegans and vegetarians because you now have a great resource: Veggie Cravings.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Veggie Cravings is my friend Korie’s blog. Korie is a food nutritionist and scientist, so she really knows her vegetarian food. Check out this amazing vegan lettuce wraps recipe from. Remember to check out her vegetarian recipes, follow her and subscribe to her emails. — Bee
Hi! I’m Korie. I share with Bee’s love of cooking and I enjoy creating vegetarian recipes. Thanks to Bee for giving me the opportunity to share my vegetarian recipe with your fellow readers. I feel humbled and honored to be part of this fun-filled cooking movement.
I am so excited that the Lunar New Year is almost here! Traditionally, the First day of the Lunar New Year is a time to celebrate with a nutritious vegetarian meal to purify and cleanse the body, and honor the Buddhist tradition.
For this occasion I’ll be having lettuce wraps, swaddled with a medley of savory vegan ingredients. Light, tasty and low-carbs, the vegan lettuce wraps are a great way to start the New Year feast with families, friends and guests.
The vegan lettuce wraps we’re making are bursting with flavors of golden sauteed mushrooms, tofu, crunchy jicama and red peppers, wrapped in tender butterhead lettuce leaves. They are drizzled with a mildly spiced hoisin sauce, and garnished with fresh cilantro and crispy fried noodles for good luck and longevity!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Again, thank-you Bee for having me at your amazing site.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 194 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- 1 butterhead lettuce (washed, drained and leaves separated)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 sliced ginger
- 5 oz. ried tofu, diced
- 3 fresh shiitake mushroom ((diced))
- 4 oz. jicama, diced
- 1/2 red pepper (red capsicum diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- sesame seeds (toasted)
- Cilantro (shredded for garnishing)
- 1/3 cup vegetarian hoisin sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sambal oelek chilli paste
- 1-2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce or ABC sweet soy sauce (http://amzn.to/205TPbL)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek chilli paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. Mix seasoning sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash, dry and separate the leaves of 1 butterhead lettuce. Set aside. Heat skillet at medium heat, add oil and ginger. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add tofu, shitake mushrooms, jicama and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add red peppers and seasoning sauce mix. Stir fry another minute, then transfer into serving bowl.
- Assemble wraps by spooning 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto the lettuce leaves, top with a teaspoon of dipping sauce, and garnish with cilantro and some fried vermicelli (optional). This will make about 8 wraps depending on the size of the lettuce leaves.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.