Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
If you love Chinese food, I am sure you have tried P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps. They are an appetizer of ground chicken wrapped up in fresh lettuce leaves and served with a savory and delicious dipping sauce.
Making them at home is super easy, and they make for a great appetizer for a healthy weeknight dinner.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Korean BBQ Kimchi Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Pork Larb Lettuce Wraps
What Do You Use to Make Lettuce Wraps?
There are three main ingredients: chicken, fresh lettuce leaves and hoisin sauce. You will need ground chicken, and either iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce.
How Do You Cut the Lettuce?
Get a head of iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce. Cut off the bottom stem. Separate each leaf for wrapping. If the leaves are too big, cut it into halves. On the other hand, if you use butter lettuce, usually the leaves are smaller so you don’t have to cut them.
The Best Lettuce Wraps Sauce
For the wraps sauce, I love a spicy and savory sauce, so I use Chinese Hoisin sauce and mix it with Sriracha. The sauce should be a bit watery, so mix and dilute the sauce with some warm water.
Wrap the lettuce around the ground chicken and spoon the sauce over it.
How to Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Marinate the ground chicken with soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and scallions.
- Mix the dipping sauces.
- Cook the ground chicken mixture in a wok until fully cooked, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, carefully peel off the lettuce leaves from the iceberg lettuce head. Be careful not to break the leaves.
- To serve, just add the chicken on a lettuce leaf, spoon the sauce over and enjoy!
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 280 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) ground chicken breast
- 2- inch (5 cm) piece peeled carrots, diced into tiny squares
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce for coloring purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 stalk scallion, finely chopped
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 1 fresh and cold iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce
Hoisin Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon warm water
Sweet Chili Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce
- Some cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- Mix the ground chicken meat and carrots with all the Marinade ingredients. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix the dipping sauces and set aside. Heat up a wok or pan and add the cooking oil. Saute the garlic until light brown and then add the chicken. Stir-fry the ground chicken and break up the lumps so they form into nice small pieces. Continue to stir-fry until the chicken is cooked. Dish out and set aside.
- Carefully peel off the lettuce leaves from the iceberg lettuce head. Be careful not to break the leaves. Scoop up a big spoonful of chicken and place it in the middle of a lettuce leaf. Wrap it up and dip into the hoisin-ponzu sauce or sweet chili sauce before eating. Alternatively, you can add the sauce on top of the chicken before eating.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 73mgSodium 1074mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 26g