I am so glad that my contributor Siew Loon is back from her long hiatus on Rasa Malaysia. Siew Loon is a great friend and she is such a wonderful baker, especially Chinese New Year cookies.
I remember a few years ago, she brought me a bottle of her homemade pineapple tarts when we met up for Chinese New Year.
Anyway, today, she is sharing with us the recipe of Chinese walnut cookies.
Happy New Year to all Rasa Malaysia readers.
When I was browsing through the various blogs for cookies to bake for the Lunar New Year, this recipe of walnut cookies from Nasi Lemak Lover instantly caught my eyes.
It reminds me of my childhood days where we would go to the market to buy these cookies and eat them with a cup of coffee.
After reading her blog post, I realized that most walnut cookies do not have walnuts in it.
But I have edited the recipe a bit and added ground walnuts and shortening into it as I simply love nuts.
The end result is these absolutely delicious walnut cookies topped with walnut pieces that are buttery, crumbly, and nutty.
They are great for the upcoming Lunar New Year, when friends and family gather together and some cookies to enjoy during the festivities.
They are also very easy to make and you don’t need a mixer because you can mix everything with hands.
To those celebrating Lunar New Year, happy year of horse to you all.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 174 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 250 g (9 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g (2 oz.) ground walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 120 g (4 oz.) granulated sugar
- 20 g (1 oz.) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon alkaline water
- 150 g (5 oz.) peanut oil or cooking oil
- 50 g (2 oz.) walnut halves
- 1 egg yolk plus 1 teaspoon oil
- Mix flour, baking powder, ground walnuts, salt and sugar in a bowl. Rub butter and shortening into flour until resembles crumbs. Add in alkaline water, peanut oil and mix until the dough forms and becomes soft.
- Divide dough into 20g (1 oz.) each and flatten it a little with fork. Top with half a walnut. Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake at 170°C (340°F) for 30 minutes or until the top is slightly brown.
You can use either salted or unsalted butter.You can also use 10 g butter and 10 g shortening instead of 20 g butter.
Serving Size20 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 174Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 10mgSodium 62mgCarbohydrates 16gSugar 6gProtein 2g