Peanut Cookies Recipe
Peanut cookie is one of my favorite Chinese New Year cookies.
I grew up helping my late aunt making hundreds of peanut cookies…shaping them into round balls.
Next, I used the cap of a toothpaste to form the circle pattern on top of each cookie.
The last step was brushing the top of the cookies with egg wash, using a Chinese calligraphy brush.
Peanut cookies are crumbly and absolutely addictive. Once I start eating, I just can’t stop.
Ingredients for Peanut Cookies
Peanut cookie is a traditional Chinese New Year cookie in Malaysia. This peanut cookie recipe was contributed by Ho Siew Loon.
The recipe calls for only six (6) main ingredients:
- Ground roasted peanut
- All purpose flour
- Peanut oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Egg yolk or egg wash
How to Make Peanut Cookies?
Combine the ground peanuts with flour, sugar and peanut oil to make the dough.
Form the dough into small balls and decorate the top and brush with egg wash.
Are Peanut Cookies Healthy?
Peanut cookies are obviously not a very healthy snack but they are too good.
As it is for the Lunar New Year celebration, just indulge and enjoy them with a cup of Chinese tea.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 308 calories per serving.
Chinese New Year Sweet Treat Recipes
In Malaysia, there are many popular Chinese New Year recipes. Here are some of my favorites and must-have during the festivities:
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 4 cups ground roasted peanuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk (beaten slightly for egg wash)
- Mix the ground peanut, sugar, oil, shortening and flour together until well combined. Shaped into small balls and arrange it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- You can add a small circle pattern to the top of the peanut cookies by using the cap of your tooth paste. Just press the cap gently on top of each cookie to form the circle.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and bake the peanut cookies at 350°F (180°C) for 20 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. You can store the peanut cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.