Beef Massaman Curry Recipe
and Updates on Facebook Daily!
Beef Massaman Recipe
800 grams of cubed chuck beef or stewing beef
3 tbs of massaman curry paste (Namjai brand)
10 green cardamom seeds
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
8 small shallot onions, peeled
2 cans of coconut milk
1 cup of water
2 1/2 tbs fish sauce
5 new potatoes, peeled and halved
1- 2 tamarind pods (can be substituted with 1/2 tbs of tamarind paste)
2 tbs of palm sugar (can be substituted with brown sugar)
4 tbs of unsalted, roasted peanuts
2 tbs of peanut oil
A handful of fresh Thai basil leaves
1. Coat beef in 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and massaman curry paste. Stir well to coat and set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat remaining oil over a medium heat. Stir-fry the cardamom, cinnamon and star anise for 40 seconds. Add the whole shallots and fry until golden brown.
3. Add the curry-coated beef and brown for 1-2 minutes. Stir the beef well to coat it in the spices.
4. Add 1 can of coconut milk, 2 tbsp of fish sauce and 1/2 to 1 cup of water until the beef is just covered by the liquid. Stir well and then bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn heat down very low and cover. Gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
5. After this time, add the remaining can of coconut milk, potatoes, peanuts and half the basil leaves. Stir well. Taste and add a little more fish sauce if necessary.
6. Turn heat up to medium-low and cover. Cook for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the tamarind juice. If you’re using fresh tamarind, peel the fruit out of the pod. Place the fruit and seeds in 2 tablespoons of warm water and use your fingers to rub the pulp off the seeds into the water. The water will become brown and pulpy — this is tamarind juice. Discard the seeds.
8. Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the curry from the heat. Stir in the sugar, tamarind juice and remaining basil. Stir well and serve the beef massaman curry with Jasmine rice.
1 1/2 cups of jasmine rice
Scant 3 cups of water
1. If you’re using a rice cooker than you probably don’t need instructions. If you’re cooking rice on the stove, then wash rice thoroughly under cold water and place it in a saucepan. Add water and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and turn heat down low.
2. Cook for about 10-12 minutes. Serve.
You Might Also Like These Recipes Below:
Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter your email for new updates: recipes, giveaways, and more!