Green Papaya Salad
and Updates on Facebook Daily!
Thai Green Papaya Salad (Som Tam) Recipe
Adapted from She Simmers
1 clove garlic
1 or 2 red Thai bird’s eye chilies
2 tablespoons dried shrimp
Thai palm sugar, to taste
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
6 oz green papaya strands
6 cherry tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes)
1/3 cup long green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
Fresh lime juice to taste
Fish sauce, to taste
- Pound the garlic and bird’s eye chilies until they form a smooth paste.
- Add the dried shrimp and pound until the pieces are broken up, but not completely pulverized.
- Add the palm sugar (cut into small pieces), maybe 2-3 teaspoons at first. More more to taste later.
- Add the peanuts and lightly pound until they are broken into tiny pieces, but not to the point where they form a thick paste.
- Add the green beans and crush them with the mortar until they’re splitting and lightly bruised.
- Add the papaya and tomatoes and pound on them to bruise them. You want to crush the tomatoes so they release their juices and give their flavor and color.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of fish sauce and a couple of teaspoons of lime juice to the mix.
- Have in one hand a large spoon to help flip things over in and scrape down the sides of the mortar while your other hand pounds away with the pestle.
- Keep pounding and flipping for a few seconds, add more fish sauce, lime juice, or palm sugar as needed.
- Dish out and serve immediately.
Click Images Below for More Easy & Yummy Recipes:
Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter your email for new updates: recipes, giveaways, and more!