Malaysian Mango Chicken Recipe
8 oz skinless and boneless chicken thigh (breast or leg), cut into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 small onion, quartered
1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into chunks
1/2 small green bell pepper, slivered into 1-inch lengths
1/2 medium ripe green mango, peeled, pitted and slivered
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dash of black pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2-3 tablespoons tomato puree, or tomato ketchup
2 tablespoon chili sauce (Lingham or Maggi)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon A1 Steak sauce
1 teaspoon honey
2-3 tablespoons mango juice, pineapple juice, or water
1/2-1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, balsamic or black vinegar
sugar and salt to taste
1. Marinate chicken pieces with Marinade ingredients for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the Sauce ingredients in a bowl. Adjust sugar and other Sauce ingredients to your liking. Set sauce mixture aside.
3. Heat up a little oil in a wok, stir-fry onions, red and green bell peppers until fragrant and slightly charred. Dish up and set aside.
4. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok, toss in marinated chicken pieces, mango slivers and give it a quick swirl for 1 minute or until the chicken gets a bit sticky on the wok. Cover wok and simmer on medium-high heat for another 2 minutes to draw the mango juice out.
5. Remove wok cover, add in the sauce mixture, stir well and bring it to a quick boil. Cover wok, turn heat to medium-low and let it simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
6. Toss in items from step 3., stir well, salt and sugar to taste. Dish up and serve with steamed white rice.