Sweet and Sour Chicken
When it comes to Chinese recipes, there are a few basic cooking methods, one of them is sweet and sour. Sweet and sour chicken is also one of the most popular dishes. It’s basically fried chicken cubes coated with a crispy batter and stir-fried with a mouthwatering sweet and sour sauce.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
How do you make sweet and sour sauce? With my easy and healthy recipe (no red food coloring in the sauce!), you can make it in advance and keep in the refrigerator. The ingredients include:
- Ketchup – this is the key ingredients and gives sweet and sour sauce its iconic color.
- Chili Sauce – you can use any Asian chili sauce you like. This gives you the heat in the sweet and sour sauce.
- Plum sauce – this is one of the secret ingredient that gives my recipe that extra special flavor
- Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce – this is another secret ingredient that will make your sauce just like the best Chinese restaurants
- Chinese rice vinegar – this ingredient gives the tartness in the sauce and makes sweet and sour chicken sauce so appetizing
- Sugar – the sweetness in the sauce comes from sugar.
How Do You Cook Sweet and Sour Chicken
The key to a great sweet and sour chicken is that you don’t want your chicken to swim in the sweet and sour sauce like what most Chinese restaurants do. The sauce should lightly coat the chicken cubes so they don’t turn soggy. Another secret is the use of baking powder in the frying batter, which does a great job in giving the battered fried chicken an extra crunch.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Recipe Pairing Ideas:
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE:
SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.