Mee Udang (Malay Prawn Noodle)
250-300gm yellow noodle
600gm of big-sized sea prawns (I got 8 big prawns)
5 tbsp of tomato sauce
200gm of tomatoes, diced
400ml of water
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
6 shallots, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp of sugar
1 ½ tbsp of chili paste
Light soy sauce to taste
3 leaves of lettuce, thinly sliced
2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and halved
2 calamansi lime, halved
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped
1/4 of onion, thinly sliced
Fried crispy shallot
1. Blend the diced tomatoes with 400ml of water. Set aside.
2. Blanch the yellow noodle and set aside.
3. Heat enough oil in a wok, deep fried sliced shallot till golden brown, set aside.
4. Leave about 2 tbsp of oil in the wok, saute garlic till fragrant. Add prawns and stir fry with 1 tbsp of light soy sauce for 1 minute.
5. Pour in the tomato puree. Add tomato sauce and chili paste. Bring the gravy to simmer under medium heat. Add sugar and light soy sauce to taste.
6. Add in the yellow noodle to the simmering gravy. Mix well.
7. Serve up and garnish with onion, spring onion, egg, lettuce, calamansi lime and fried shallot.