Assam Pedas Fish RecipeJanuary 15th, 2007Recipes, Malaysian Recipes, Recipes, Nyonya Recipes, Recipes63 Comments
Assam Pedas Pomfret Recipe
1 pomfret (1/2 pound to 1 pound)
10 small okras
1 tomato (cut into wedges)
1 teaspoon of fish curry powder
2 sprigs of daun kesum (Vietnamese mint/Vietnames coriander)
5 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 tablespoon of palm sugar/sugar
Salt to taste
1 clove garlic
1 stalk of lemon grass (white part only)
8-10 dried chillies (depends how spicy you like)
1/2 tablespoon of belacan (prawn paste)
1 1/4 cup of water
Tamarind pulp (size of a small ping pong ball)
- Pound the spice paste with mortar and pestle or grind them in a food processor. Set aside.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in warm water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind pulp constantly to extract the flavor into the water. Drain the pulp and save the tamarind juice.
- Heat oil and fry the spice paste for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tamarind juice, fish curry powder and bring to boil.
- Add the tomato wedges and okras and bring to boil.
- Add the fish, salt, and palm sugar/sugar.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Serve hot.