Homemade Baked French Fries Recipe
These days, most people want to eat healthy and avoid deep fried foods but we all love French fries too much to give them up.
These baked fries are the best and so easy to make in the oven. The fries are every bit your plain old fries but they are oven baked, super crispy and so delicious.
What’s more, these baked fries are seasoned with salt and vinegar; a bite into it gives you the sour, salty and vinegary taste found in potato chips in a bag!
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Bake French Fries?
Oven baked French fries calls for a two-step process. First, make the salt and vinegar seasoning and bring it to a boil.
Next, cut the potatoes into French-fry shape and boil in the seasoning water. Last step is to bake the fries in the oven.
The method will ensure that you get the mouth-puckering salt-and-vinegar kick inside the fries.
Baking them in the oven will make the fries are extra crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
How Long to Bake French Fries?
It takes a total of 30 minutes to bake fries in the oven at 450°F or 232°C.
To make sure both sides of the fries are crispy, bake for 20 minutes first and remove the fries from the oven. Turn the fries over and bake for anther 10 minutes.
The end results will be golden, perfectly baked fries that are crispy.
How to make baked French fries extra crispy?
I have these fail-proof tips to share with you.
- Use baking sheets and do not cover the sheets with parchment paper.
- Oil the sheets with vegetable oil and heat the sheets up in the oven until very hot (but not smoking), for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheets. The heat of the baking sheets will sizzle and crisp up the surface of the potatoes, making the French fries extra crispy after baking in the oven.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Temperature Do You Bake Fries?
450°F or 232°C.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 438 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve the baked fries with a protein-based main entree. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6 cups water, for boiling
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 large russet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed, cut into fries shape (3 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- chopped parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large pot, add the water, vinegar, salt and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Line two baking sheets with paper towels. Put the potatoes into the boiling water and boil for 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, be gentle and careful not to break the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to the baking sheets in a single layer. Pat dry gently with paper towels. Let cool.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and toss gently with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the remaining oil to the two baking sheets, 2 tablespoons on each baking sheet. Spread the oil evenly on the surface. Heat the oil sheets in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove the sheets from the oven and quickly divide the potatoes between them, in single layers.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the underside of the fries are brown and crisp. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, turn the fries over and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately with ketchup.
Adapted from Cravings Hungry for More by Chrissy Teigan.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 438Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 17gSodium 617mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 7g