Bourbon Chicken Recipe
Bourbon chicken is a delicious chicken dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. The juicy and crispy chicken coated with rich and flavorful bourbon sauce makes it a popular take-out in most Chinese-American restaurants.
Enjoy this irresistible dish by drizzling the tangy and slightly sweet sauce onto steamed rice or vegetables.
This mouthwatering homemade bourbon chicken recipe is easy to prepare and is a quick and stunning meal in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Bourbon Chicken Recipe
This easy homemade bourbon chicken recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Bourbon whisky
- Unsweetened apple juice
- Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Paprika, or any chili powder
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- Corn starch
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Bourbon Chicken?
First, prepare the bourbon sauce by adding soy sauce, bourbon whisky, unsweetened apple juice, rice vinegar, maple syrup, minced garlic, grated ginger, and paprika in a bowl. Whisk well, and set aside.
Next, clean and slice the chicken thigh. Pat the meat dry and coat with corn starch.
Heat the skillet (or frying pan) over medium-high heat with oil. Add the chicken strips and cook them on both sides for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown and almost cooked through. Add the bourbon sauce mixture to the skillet and constantly stir to coat the meat evenly with sauce.
Mix one teaspoon of corn starch and two tablespoons of water in a small bowl, and whisk well. Lower the heat to medium, and stir in the corn starch and water mixture. Bring to a simmer, and keep stirring for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat. Dish out, and serve immediately with chopped scallions sprinkled on top.
- Prepare the bourbon sauce mixture beforehand, and stir in the sauce mixture while cooking the chicken. It is easy and quick this way.
- Make sure the skillet (or frying pan) and oil are heated hot enough before adding in chicken strips, which will give you a nice and crispy outside.
- Scrape the sauce from the side of the skillet (or frying pan) with a spatula to keep the flavor on the meal as much as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need to Marinate the Chicken before Cooking Bourbon Chicken?
No, you don’t need to marinate the chicken beforehand. You can cook the chicken directly with the bourbon sauce mixture and simmer to bring out the taste.
How to Store the Bourbon Chicken?
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat, and add a tablespoon of water if the sauce becomes too thick. You can also microwave the leftovers and enjoy.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe serves 428 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with rice or noodles. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon whisky
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, or any chili powder
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon corn starch, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 stalk scallions, chopped
- First, combine all sauce ingredients. Add soy sauce, bourbon whisky, unsweetened apple juice, rice vinegar, maple syrup, minced garlic, grated ginger, and paprika in a bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- Rinse and pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken thighs into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- Add one tablespoon of corn starch to a shallow plate. Coat the chicken strips with the corn starch lightly.
- Heat the skillet (or frying pan) over medium-high heat with oil and add the chicken strips. Cook the chicken strips on both sides for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown and almost cooked through. Add the bourbon sauce mixture to the skillet and constantly stir to coat the meat evenly with sauce.
- Mix one teaspoon of corn starch and two tablespoons of water in a small bowl, and whisk well. Lower the heat to medium, and stir in the corn starch and water mixture. Bring to a simmer, keep stirring and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat.
- Dish out, and serve it immediately with the chopped scallions sprinkled on top.
Recipe source:Eatingwell- Liv Dansky
Amount Per Serving Calories 428Total Fat 20.5gSaturated Fat 4.9gCholesterol 135mgSodium 1330mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 0.6gSugar 6.7gProtein 45.4g